Pickup truck tailgate theft

"Coming back to the truck after a game at the stadium or following a night out with friends, it can come as quite a shock to realize that thieves have made off with your tailgate. It takes less than 30 seconds for a thief to snatch a pickup tailgate and replacement costs can amount to $1,000 or more."
Read more: <http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/02/13/pickup-truck-tailgates-easy-to-steal-and-thefts-on-rise/?intcmp atures#ixzz2KnbW5UVa>
Gives kink to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB).
> "Coming back to the truck after a game at the stadium or following a > night out with friends, it can come as quite a shock to realize that > thieves have made off with your tailgate. It takes less than 30 > seconds for a thief to snatch a pickup tailgate and replacement costs > can amount to $1,000 or more." > > Read more: > <http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/02/13/pickup-truck-tailgates-easy-to-steal-and-thefts-on-rise/?intcmp atures#ixzz2KnbW5UVa> > > Gives kink to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB).
The easy to remove tailgate does make it easy to steal. Many people probably never remove the tailgates. On my truck I put one of the simple screw type radiator clamps on it.. That means that you have to take a screwdriver and loosen to clamp to remove the gate. Probably something the theives are not going to take time with. Without this, all you have to do is open the tailgate and pull it off, Takes maybe 5 seconds to do instead of 30 seconds.
On 2/13/13 12:11 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> > The easy to remove tailgate does make it easy to steal. Many people > probably never remove the tailgates. On my truck I put one of the simple > screw type radiator clamps on it.. That means that you have to take a > screwdriver and loosen to clamp to remove the gate. Probably something the > theives are not going to take time with. Without this, all you have to do > is open the tailgate and pull it off, Takes maybe 5 seconds to do instead > of 30 seconds.
I take it you put the clamp on the slotted end gate pivot point at the bottom. A good idea. Simple and easy.

That is correct. That converts that slot to more or less a solid shell. It is not my origional idea. Friend showed it to me and he found it somewhere else.
If you have a screwdriver it can be removed in a short period of time. I never have had any need to remove my tailgate. I don't use it like a truck very much, but have hauled about 20 loads of wood in the 6 years I have had it. This is a Toyota Tacoma that has the slotted piviot point,but I bet there are others that work similar to it that a $ 2 would fix.

First I've heard of it. Sounds like a dumb idea, though.

I certainly don't see how it would.

I'm trying to recall the last p/u I even saw with a tailgate. At least in CA. Everyone took 'em off and put those silly web belt thingies on their truck. What was that all about? I assumed it was cuz of some kinda perceived gas mileage improvement cuz most everyone hadda commute some insane distance to work.
I'm now in CO and I guess it might be a problem, as everyone here has their tailgate installed. OTOH, so rural, not much auto theft of any kind. Probably not an issue, here.
"Pssst.... wanna buy a hot tailgate?" Sorry, I jes can't see it. ;)
nb
notbob wrote:

Everything in the US that isn't nailed down or under surveillence 24/7 is being stolen.
And this is news to you?
Go do a search for "tailgate" on ebay. You'll find hundreds.

There was a rumor some years back that it increased mileage (it doesn't). Some think the net looks cool (it doesn't). It was a big thing in VT to leave it down. Dumb.

I certainly don't see any pickups missing them anymore. I live in a very large metro area, too.

Color? I have seen some that don't match but they can be explained by replacement parts from junk yards.
notbob wrote:

There is a notion floating around that removing the tailgate improves gas milage. Mythbusters did a segment on this concept and actually found the reverse: Tailgate UP is more fuel efficient than tailgate down.
Some in California are eager to believe...
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/driving-tailgate-fuel-consumption.htm

some trucks as well.
On 2/15/13 11:49 PM, Steve B wrote:

American Pie. Hint for the youngins "drove my......... to the ..... but the ....... was dry"
On 02/16/2013 07:47 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

The old Ch*vy stepsides aren't difficult at all. I don't know about modern ones.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel