Picking contractor for new wood stove chimney?

I need a chimney installed to code for a new wood stove (meets all local codes). I live in a small town and have contacted a local HVAC guy who never returned my call. Also talked to a local "one person contractor" who said he would come over and give me an estimate - two different times, but never showed up either time.

This chimney will need to stand about 11 ft. high from the roof, being as it will be toward the edge of the roof and the 9 ft. high peak of the roof is within 10 ft. of the chimney. To make installation more interesting, my roof is at about a 45 degree angle, so probably can't stand on roof to install it. Probably need high-lift equipment or whatever? Also I assume that this chimney will need two or more supports for high wind situations?

There are some larger cities nearby with plenty of contractors. I was thinking I would have better luck there.

Suggestions for best type of contractor to do this work?

I was thinking a contractor with a "business office" (rather than someone who works out of their home) would be more responsible and show up when they said they would? And I was thinking that a larger contractor company would have to equipment (high-lift) to do this work?

I suppose I could also go to various wood stove sales businesses in the larger cities and ask who would be best to install the chimney?

Reply to
Bill

This will be a metal chimney. Double wall per code, etc.

Reply to
Bill

Suggest after calling around and getting impressions, you personally visit one of the big city woodstove retailers that sell quantities of your stove brand, and are familiar with it. They usually use trusted installers that are allied with the retailer, and that specialize in installing chimneys, altho they are more motivated when they sell you the stove and chimney as part of a package deal. We bought our stove from a local woodstove dealer, and he, in turn assigned a subcontractor chimney installer to do the rest. The only advantage of an office is that you have "a place to go" in the event of trouble, later, but that is sort of an intangible. The woodstove retailer will specify and order the parts for the chimney, roof pass-thru hardware, and outside stack. The installer can determine the best way to install for that roof pitch, and whether guy wires are needed. Make sure to go with all-stainless double tube insulated chimneys, and check to see recent installations on steep roofs to see how they handled it. Most chimney sections are easily assembled by hand, with ladders and a helper, but little else.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

You need two sources of information:

  1. Most jurisdictions require a building permit to instal a chimney. The permits office should be able to inform you what licences, qualifications, etc. are required of installers.
  2. Reference from a satisfied customer who had similar work done one year ago.
Reply to
Don Phillipson

Bill said (on or about) 08/21/2005 10:19:

In our area, almost all of the people listed in the yellow pages under "Chimney Sweep" (maybe Chimney Cleaning) also do lining, rebuilding, repairing, installation, new chimney, etc.

Reply to
Elmo

The office means nothing.

Brick or stone? Look for a chimney sweep or a mason to do the work. You may get recommendations from a masonry supply house as they carry the materials needed for this.

If you want a metal chimney, the dealer that sold the stove can help you or refer you.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Rey

Reply to
Reynaud

OK, I got smart and drove around my area and found a chimney which is similar to the one I need to install. It was a nice clean install job. I asked the lady living there who installed it etc.

Also I went to a nearby large city and found a store which sells

*everything* wood stove chimney related. They also have a nice cutaway example install of a wood stove chimney.

I did not realize how easy this would be to install, so I'm going to do it myself. And I'll rent a high-lift for the high up stuff. (I will of course get a permit, get it inspected, and OK this with my insurance company.)

So far as its location, this is it basically.

So far as cleaning such a tall chimney, I'll start a new thread on that.

Reply to
Bill

This chimney is going to be a bear to clean. If you plan to heat with wood, it will n eed to be cleaned at least once a year and it will cost you fortune every year to have it done. Is there another location?

Reply to
Bob Morrison

You had better address the problem of cleaning the chimney before you do another thing. Bob is right, it will cost you a fortune to clean that chimney. With that much chimney outside to the weather, it could cool off enough that you might have more problems than the average wood stove owner. Don't ever burn green wood or you will be up there cleaning that chimney every 2 weeks because it has clogged up. Been there, done that.

Reply to
Joe