Piano Hinges - Better, Best and WOW That Costs a Lot

I need about 10 inches of piano hinge. It needs to operate freely -- hinge with little friction/binding/resistance.

I've been shopping these hinges and I find something I don't understand. I find identical appearing hinges by the same manufacturer in the same packaging and with what seem to be the same words on the package, which come in three prices. Cheapest, 2 x and

4x. What is the difference in these hinges that all look alike but range in cost by a factor of 4?

jim

Reply to
jim evans

Solid brass vs plated? Old inventory vs newer?

Reply to
Norminn

There were both brass and chrome plated versions of each hinge.

I don't think it could be an old vs new inventory issue because each had a different number with it's own bin.

jim

Reply to
jim evans

Hi, Old inventroy(made in U.S.) new inventory(made in China)? Good quality poiano hinge is always expensive. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Where were the various hinges offered for sale?

RicodJour

First you said they were identical, now you say they are different.

It would help to give a manufacturer or model or something to go on. Hinges do come in different qualities and can look similar at a distance. Metal thickness, plated versus solid,

A bright nickel plated hinge can be 50% more than bright brass plated, but solid brass will top them all.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

To repeat what I said:

"I find identical appearing hinges by the same manufacturer in the same packaging and with what seem to be the same words on the package, which come in three prices."

The chrome plated hinges appear identical and the brass hinges appear identical.

jim

Reply to
jim evans

I've seen this situation at some online stores, but the specific case I was referring to was at Lowe's.

jim

Reply to
jim evans

I would have asked Lowes.