Photo-cells and CFLs

I have an outdoor floodlight fixture with a photo-cell to turn it on at dusk and off at dawn. I can buy a screw-in photo-cell that works with CFLs for only $8. If I cover the regular eye so it thinks it's always dark and therefore will always be on, will the CFL work? It would be cheaper than buying a new fixture.

*Put a CFL in the fixture and see if it works before you spend money on an accessory. If the existing photocell worked with a regular bulb it should work with a CFL.
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:46:50 -0400, "John Grabowski"

I've seen one instance where the CFL bulbs would flicker.. (new construction/fixture/bulb(s), etc.) Never learned what the problem was - the photo cell or the bulb.
John Grabowski wrote:

It will work, sort of. Then the CFL will die in just a few weeks. They don't like that transition when the photocell is just turning on for 5 minutes or so. BTDT.
Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

For a heavily cycled, but short run-time light like that, CFL doesn't make much sense. And in cold weather, lag time on startup will be annoying.
-- aem sends...
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Funny, why would you need another photo cell if there is one in the fixture unless it is bad.

If the existing photocell won't work with a cfl, it won't matter if you add one that is designed to work with cfl's to the system. Do as John recommends, and see if it works. Be aware that not all Par38 CFL lamps will fit in every PAR holder socket. Many are built in such a way that the transformer hits the lip of the socket before the lamp screws down to the tongue of the socket.
RBM wrote:

Yeah, garage door opener light sockets are notorious for that.
Don

Last month I bought my first CFL bulb for 49 cents. Grabbed four more for that price.
My GD opener is 5 years old. I put the CFL bulbs (two) in and presto. Worked like a charm. The 3rd bulb went into a single ceramic light socket on the ceiling. Same result.
IGot2P wrote:

My garage door opener has LED bulbs.
On 10/18/2009 1:21 PM RBM spake thus:

Easily remedied by screwing in a socket extension (male-female extender, available everywhere).

On 10/18/2009 4:53 PM RBM spake thus:

Hmm; guess there are all kinds of oddball lamps out there.
Wonder if there are any standards for CFL packages now, and if not, when there will be? Don K?

David Nebenzahl wrote:

so many to choose from', or something like that. Attributed to several different people, including Grace Hopper, according to Google,.
-- aem sends...

Why are you making more work for yourself, why havnt you just put in a cfl to see what happens.