Phosphate Removal from Swimming Pool Without Going Broke--Orenda Technologies PR-10000

I was getting a lot of algae in my pool. Leslie's measured the phosphate level at 2500 ppb (actually it was over 2500 but the test kit tops out at 2500). A good level is about 100.

Leslie's sells PhosFree. A 3 liter bottle costs about $38, and it would have taken at least 8 bottles ($304) to reduce the phosphates to an acceptable level. Even the guy at Leslie's said to forget it, just drain the pool and refill it.

I went to another store (Pool Guys), and they sell Orenda Technologies PR-10000. 1 quart is supposed to reduce phosphates from 10,000 to 0 for a 10,000 gallon pool. So for my 40,000 gallon pool it would take 1 liter to go from 2500 to 0. A quart cost $60 at the pool store (though now I see it on-line for less). The pool store guys had never used it, as it was a new product they carried. With much trepidation I shelled out $60 for a motor oil bottle size of this liquid.

I applied it in four doses over two days, mixing 8 ounces with 120 ounces of distilled water, and pouring it around the pool and scattering it over the water. It precipitates with the phosphates and forms a flocculates that are filtered out, so your water turns a milky color until you filter out the particulates. I used the regular filter, as well as my Dolphin pool cleaner which collects debris in its own cloth filter bag.

After all four doses I went to clean the four PentAir cartridge filters which were now sot down the precipitate and weighed at least 2x normal. Today I had the phosphate tested again and it was down to 200! Amazing.

Even for maintenance, it's much cheaper to buy the PR-10000 which if I calculate correctly is 15x as concentrated as PhosFree, and just use a couple of ounces, than to buy the PhosFree. Which is probably why Leslie's doesn't sell the PR-10000 or any of the other concentrated phosphate removers on the market.

I checked the data sheet for what's in PR-10000 but they just say that it's proprietary.

Reply to
SMS

In news:4a972684$0$1606$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net, SMS spewed forth:

Regardless which one you use , they work great. You'll find that you can forget the tabs for a few days and never see a difference. It also keeps the black ring from forming at the water level. I've been using PhosFree for the first time this year and love it. I'll have to find who sells PR-10000 in my area. I've been paying about $26 for 3 litres online with free shipping for Phos Free, but feel I've saved a lot more by using less chemicals all summer. I've only shocked once this summer, used no flocculants, and no soda ash. The water has been crystal clear ALL summer as opossed to the frequent cloudyness every few weeks. Now that you've reduced your levels , you'll find using a small maintenece dose once a week will keep everything inline. You're going to get spoiled My understanding of PhosFree is it's an natural enzyme that eats the phosphates which algae thrives on.

Reply to
ChairMan

I saw the PR-10000 here for less:

"

" Their description is incorrect. "1 qt will remove 10000 ppb in a 20,000 gallon pool (75,700 liters)" should be "1 qt will remove 10000 ppb in a

10,000 gallon pool (37,850 liters)."

The information on the product is at "

" I think one quart would last me two years now that I've got the phosphates down.

Reply to
SMS

I had very high phosphate levels, couldn't put in enough chlorine to get rid of the green. All other chemical readings were normal. Used 1 quart of PR 10,000, waited a day, did an extreme shock treatment (crushed 5 "pucks" of chlorine). It cleared up the pool, brought Phosphates down to approx. 200. All other chemical readings were in the acceptable zone. It took about a week and several backwashes to get everything back to nice clear water. Did not have to shock the pool again all summer. I've been starting the season off (mid April) every year since with a PR 10,000 and have not had to shock since. I've had the pool for 25 years and the last 4 have been the most trouble free since using the PR 10,000. Love the stuff.

Reply to
Aaron Sales