Phone ringer Troubleshooting

Page 1 of 3
Some years ago, it was posted on this list, or maybe a list like this. Phone guy had been called, for "phone not ringing" at a bar and grill.
The central office did a line test, and then the tech went out. He jacked into the line at the phone pole, and did a ringer test, which worked. Then, to the demarc box, and the ringer works fine. So, he goes into the establishment, introduces himself. The bar keeper shows him the phone that's not ringing. A trimline phone, laying on the counter behind the bar.
He lifts the phone, looks, and the slides the switch from "RINGER OFF" to "RINGER ON". And closes out the trouble call.
This AM, I got a call that the phone ringer not working, in the clerk office. I drove to the church, on the way back from a service call. I went into the clerk office, slid the ringer selector from off to loud, and then called the church number. Problem solved. History repeats.

Praise Jesus! It's a miracle!
Yea, brother! I just been doing the holy Haleighleujas.
Praise Jesus! It's a miracle!

Many years ago, I worked in a printing office. I operated a Varitype typesetting machine which imprinted various typefonts onto paper for photographing onto a litho printing plate. The tabletop machine had an electric motor that wound a large spring that ran the machine, every 22 characters that you typed would start the motor to wind the spring.
One day I started work, and entered the characters and got about two words into a sentence and it stopped dead. I checked the power cord and everything that I could think of but could not get it running. I called service, as it was on a maintenance and repair contract and looked for something to do for the next several hours.
The service man came in and took a look at it and flipped the switch from off to on. Embarrassment! What fooled me was that it started working and then stopped but I didn't think of the wound spring and look for a switch that had been turned off because it was normally never turned off. Then explain to the boss why nothing got done for half a day.

I have spent my entire working life in field service, of thermofax machines ,copiers, duplicators, and these days roll laminators.....
the dumb things people do:(
I remind myself often that if people didnt break machines I wouldnt have a job:)

I used to do nationwide field service, which meant I flew all over the US fixing issues when the local techs couldn't fix them. I flew from Denver to Dallas because a monitor on our system had no video. The local tech swapped out the monitor, but still no video. He tried to troubleshoot it but to no luck. He called me and I flew onsite. Within a couple of minutes of looking at the machine, I found the analog/digital switch on the monitor in the wrong position. The local tech had set the switches on the new monitor to match exactly how they were set on the old monitor, and then wondered why no video. Needless to say, that tech got a lecture on troubleshooting.
Some logic, to set the new one like the old one. I can imagine that.
When I was in the high school AV club, some kids wanted to watch TV after class, and a TV and VCR cart was in the room. They were trying things for antenna, and never noticed the rocker switch by the volume knob that set from VCR to TV.
I used to do nationwide field service, which meant I flew all over the US fixing issues when the local techs couldn't fix them. I flew from Denver to Dallas because a monitor on our system had no video. The local tech swapped out the monitor, but still no video. He tried to troubleshoot it but to no luck. He called me and I flew onsite. Within a couple of minutes of looking at the machine, I found the analog/digital switch on the monitor in the wrong position. The local tech had set the switches on the new monitor to match exactly how they were set on the old monitor, and then wondered why no video. Needless to say, that tech got a lecture on troubleshooting.
I remember one of the lists, someone worked for a company that encouraged people to fix thier own equipment. They knew it would result in more eventual income.
I have spent my entire working life in field service, of thermofax machines ,copiers, duplicators, and these days roll laminators.....
the dumb things people do:(
I remind myself often that if people didnt break machines I wouldnt have a job:)

One of my last jobs in the USCG was to break navigation equipment in an electronics lab so technicians could learn to troubleshoot it before going out into the field.
One test procedure required a timing signal to be sent from the equipment to the O-scope before the scope could be used to test other parts of the system. The scope was therefore blank when you started the procedure. This timing trigger wasn't just for the scope, but also a key signal required for the navigation system to work properly.
When I knew some cocky hot-shots were coming to the lab, my favorite trick was to take the fuse out of the scope. Since they were expecting a blank scope when they started troubleshooting, they would hook the probe to the timing board, attempting to get the scope to display the timing trigger. When they couldn't get a signal on the scope, they'd confidently exclaim "The timing board is bad!"
I'd go get them a timing board to replace the "bad" one, they'd put it in and be very surprised to find that the equipment still didn't operate properly. Sometimes it took quite a while (and sometimes a few hints) before they realized that the scope's power light wasn't even on.
They usually weren't so cocky the next time they came in the lab.
On 1/14/2013 6:03 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Me and JH are both disabled but we work all the time when we can walk. One of the companies we work for has national service contracts with a lot of retail stores like Walmart, Kmart, Walgreens and many others. On more than one occasion I've run service calls to Ann Taylor women's clothing stores for a computer or cash register that's not working. Quite often, something is unplugged or switched off. In one manager's office, the computer monitor IEC plug wasn't pushed in far enough to make contact in the back of the monitor's power socket. When the lovely ladies ask what was wrong, I always tell them it had a bad "framistan", I'm not so mean as to cause them extreme embarrassment. ^_^
TDD
Had to replace the oscillator?
Me and JH are both disabled but we work all the time when we can walk. One of the companies we work for has national service contracts with a lot of retail stores like Walmart, Kmart, Walgreens and many others. On more than one occasion I've run service calls to Ann Taylor women's clothing stores for a computer or cash register that's not working. Quite often, something is unplugged or switched off. In one manager's office, the computer monitor IEC plug wasn't pushed in far enough to make contact in the back of the monitor's power socket. When the lovely ladies ask what was wrong, I always tell them it had a bad "framistan", I'm not so mean as to cause them extreme embarrassment. ^_^
TDD
I'm nominating this one for the award.
[...]

I've spent the better part of my adult life troubleshooting as well.
The number one rule... no matter how obvious an issue seems to be, is to check the simple stuff first.
Some related I came across a while back:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubleshooting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
Erik
I've had several leaky tires, in the last few weeks. One was weather cracked. One picked up a nail.
The one I just took in, he sprayed some soap on the valve stem, it's blowing like crazy. Tightens the valve core, and we're good. I coulda done that, but I didn't do the diagnosis.
I've spent the better part of my adult life troubleshooting as well.
The number one rule... no matter how obvious an issue seems to be, is to check the simple stuff first.
Some related I came across a while back:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubleshooting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
Erik

A friend of my uncle's used to teach electronics in high school and before that, the military. One of his tricks was to clip pins off tubes (a few moons ago) to simulate failures. One day, when he was active duty, he noticed his former students checking the pins on all the tubes on the gear they were working on. <doh!>

As have I, though I don't have the luxury of knowing that the widget I'm debugging ever worked or will ever work (as is). It makes the game a lot different. ;-)

Yep. Always check power first. I always add LEDs to the power controls to tell me what power supplies are supposed to be running. A glance at them tells me if they're operating as intended. When something changes for the worst, glance at the indicators.

I don't know if it's common, but I saw the dash board of a race car that had all the dials installed kind of crooked. Turns out they were installed so that all the indicators pointed at 12 o'clock under normal operating conditions. While cruising around the track, the driver barely even has to look down to see if everything was OK. No processing needed.
When I think back to all the dials on the transmitters I used to work on, I can see how much easier it would have been if we had used the same set up. 12 12 12 3 12 12 ... Wait, 3? That's not right.
In article

Back before glass cockpits, when aircraft had mostly individual analog instruments, the great majority were designed to all have their indicator hands point in the same direction during normal operation. Anything 'acting up' really stood out... I've heard this is in fact very common in auto racing... like the example above.
Erik

I've got my computer setup in a different room while Sheetrock was being repaired in the next but I usually have at least two monitors running at the same time with one running a diagnostic graph that shows what the CPU cores are doing along with the memory, page file and hard drive. If my computer seems slow, I can look at the screen and see what's going on in real time. I experiment with a lot of software and it really comes in handy. ^_^
http://www.fotissoftware.com/memxp_sc.htm
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/system_tools/system_information/sysresources_manager.cfm
http://tinyurl.com/ag9c3t4
TDD

There was a NASA rule that all stuff would indicate by green lights. If any warning came on it was red or yellow. When they started putting LEDs in equipment, there were only red lights. Things changed.
Greg

And what about us poor slobs who are R/G colorblind?? I can tell if they're lit, that's about all.
The new green led traffic lights that are very bluishgreen are no problem, but the tiny green led's like on modems and indicators showing that something is powered on are a total loss if the color is supposed to mean something. And, 10% of all males are color-blind to some extent, and we are pretty much ignored by most electronic designers, unless they happen to be color-blind also.
When I was first married, my wife spent some time each week telling me resistor colors for my electronic projects, this was before I had a decent multimeter at home. At work I had a Simpson 260, I think it was.