Phone Question on Cable/Traditional

Page 1 of 3
I've got two land lines, one cable and one traditional phone company. And I have a telephone that handles two phone lines. Can I plug the two different types of phone lines into the same telephone?
Bert Byfield wrote:

Should be no problem. I have three IP phone lines from two different adapters and standard phones work fine.
TDD
On Fri 07 Nov 2008 10:07:11p, Bert Byfield told us...

Yes.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Bert Byfield wrote:

Please report back after you try it. Others think it you will be fine.
Lou

Any of those phone options present the same 2 wire phone interface at the end of the wire to any phone, so you can mix and match.

yes if the wiring already works and the phone works when fed with one at a time. if you get crosstalk try a different phone. new wiring should be twisted pairs to avoid crosstalk. label line wire color pairs at each jack, line 1, line 2. -b
On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 23:07:11 -0600, Bert Byfield

Yes. A phone line is a phone line, as far as a phone is considered.

Yes, but why?
Would it be cheaper to get a second line from the cable company and eliminate the TelCo bill?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Some people like regular # for 911 safety.
Lou

True, but does Bert?
LouB wrote:

Or some need to use 1980 technology acoustic modems to have their pacemakers checked.
George wrote:

1. Can't an acoustic modem work with a VoIP line?
2. In many respects, a cell phone is better for contacting 911 than an ordinary land-line. A cell phone connection, for example, can't be cut by the invading goblins.
HeyBub wrote:

Yabut a cell phone system can be easily overloaded in a big emergency.
Lou

A 911 call from a cell phne doesn't give your exact location. If your house is on fire or a loved one is in danger, that might be a consideration. Often, 911 callers are unable to speak or answer questions for a multitude of reasons. The dispatcher still knows where the call is coming from and can send help immediately.
On Nov 9, 8:18�am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

all new phones by federal law include a GPS report of exact location to 911.
but mixing regular phone line with VOIP at great risk.
if a regular phone line contacts a VOIP adapter it will fry your adapter, they can never be in contact with a standard phone line........
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 05:25:14 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Good luck with that.

It's already here, if not spreading like wildfire.
More and more wireless coverage areas are regulated by entities that are mandating the deployment of Caller ID and other, improved technologies.
A landline will always have one or more advantages over wireless, depending on the needs of the user. Of course, the same can be said of wireless, not to mention the implied advantage of wide area mobility.
--
:)
JR

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

But it isn't an exact location. Carriers could choose two methods. One is assisted GPS and the other is triangulation. GPS is fair and triangulation is pretty coarse. Plus some states (like mine) choose to spend the 911 tax that the cell companies are forced to collect on other stuff. So many call centers don't even have a method to process the data.

As of 2008, all cell phones are supposed to be location capable w/GPS chips. It has been a requirement since before 2005 that all handsets sold be location capable and since 2005 the cellphone companies have been required to be at least 95% location capable, although some got waivers from that as long as all new handsets being sold were location-capable (so that people voluntarily holding on to old cell phones wouldn't be forced to change until theY changed providers or bought new phones.) There is some concern, especially in rural areas, however, that the public safety access points (911-centers) may not be paying to get their call centers upgraded. Anyway, for the vast majority of the population, the 911 centers can now know where a person is even if they can't respond or don't know where they are.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

It doesn't have to be a rural area because it doesn't work in my area. And we are being charged to pay for this by way of the e911 tax that the cell carriers must collect. Some states decided to spend the money on other stuff.