Phone problems after thunderstorm

I am trying to help my grandmother with a phone problem. I'm not entirely sure what's going on (she's very confusing) but some (possibly all) of the Caller ID displays on her home telephones are garbled to the point where they're unreadable. I think it happened after a thunderstorm where the electric went out. The phones work fine except for the displays. It's on both the cordless and corded phones.

Is it at all possible that the storm would damage only the displays on the phones but yet the phones still work fine otherwise? I can't be sure, but I think even the cordless extension sets that aren't even connected to the phone line have the garbled display. That seems really strange to me.

Michael S.

Reply to
Mike S.

You might want to post your question here sci.electronics.repair

Reply to
Ron

Are the CID displays garbled ALL of the time or only when a call is received?

If the CID data is garbled when transmitted, but the phone LEDs are otherwise OK, it is probably a problem with the line. If the displays are permanently garbled, the phones are damaged. Good luck.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

More likely the damage came in the power line.

nick hull