Phone problem

Dear Forum,
My home phones are not working and I am not sure how to troubleshoot the problem. I would appreciate some pointers or some help.
The situation and symptoms are as follows.
1/When I pick up the phone upstairs, I can hear the dial tone and I can make a phone call. That works fine.
2/However, when someone calls me, the phone upstairs does not ring. I forgot to ask the caller whether they get a busy tone or, a normal tone, or something else.
3/The phone downstairs does not work at all. I cannot hear dial tone and I can make or receive calls downstairs.
I suspect that there must be a problem with the phone lines inside my home. But I do not know how to test these...
Many thanks in advance.
snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm wrote:

First try switching the phones around and/or borrowing a phone you're sure is good from someplace and trying it in both locations to see what happens then.
Report results...
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On Sep 22, 4:11 pm, snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm wrote:

I just checked the upstairs phone, and the ring was turned off...
I forgot to mention that the upstairs phone stops working when I connect the internet (while letting the phone connected also.)
I will greatly appreciate your pointers and help.

If your PC connects to the Internet via Diall-Up, this is normal.
Unplug thee upstairs phone and connect it downstairs. If it works OK the downstairs handset is broken and should be replaced. If your working upstairs phone fails to work downstairs, the downstairs phone socket or wire is now defective.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

I rearranged the wires in my house so I can hear things on my phone when I use dial-up. It's a lot of squealing, but I don't care.
I dial the number I want, but so far I've never gotten through to anyone I'm calling.
But I do hear a voice I don't recognize, and it calls something like "Hello. I'm trapped in the ISP. Please send help."
I don't know what to do.

On Sep 22, 4:16 pm, snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm wrote:

Thanks for the help.
Since I can make and receive phone calls upstairs, the upstairs phone (and phone lines) work well.
I unplugged the downstairs phone, and I plugged the upstairs phone into the downstairs socket. I did not get dial tone. So I am guessing that there is something wrong with the phone lines downstairs. I think I am going to need an electrician for that.
The other problem I have is that when I connect to the internet, I loose dial tone upstairs. For that problem, I guess that I should contact my Internet Service Provider.
Thanks again for the help.
snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm wrote:

Do you connect to the internet via DSL or dial-up?
If DSL, you need a filter between the incoming trunk lines and your telephone.
If dial-up, your phone is probably connected to the modem which disables normal telephone service.
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:24:10 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm wrote:

That's what should happen, when the line is in use (I suppose you're using dialup (not DSL) for your internet connection).
Is the modem upstairs or downstairs? Does a phone work in that jack? This is helping you locate the problem.
BTW, the word is "lose" (one of the most common spelling errors on the internet).

Mark Lloyd

Thanks again for all the help.

DSL.
There is a filter between the incoming line and the telephone. I am going to see if I can replace that filter since I have another one downstairs.
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:00:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm wrote:

I just got DSL and it came with 4 inline filters and a wall filter.
The first filter I used seems to have been bad, even though it is brand new. I added a second in series and it works now. ASAP I'll take out the first one.