PHONE LINE STATIC!

Page 2 of 2

That is still considered "inside" wire.
More accurately, it is customer-owned wire on the customer side of the demarcation point/interface. It's all yours.
--
:)
JR

I know this, but considering choice between Comcast and Verizon cable service: I assume Verizon puts in interface box, extends to TV's then as with phones makes homeowner responsible for line upkeep past box. OTOH Comcast will come into house and straighten out bad connections - at least they did this for me a couple of years ago.
Friend just made Comcast to Verizon switch but then switched back when service was unsatisfactory.
Frank

Do you mean, for "free"? I assume that ALL companies will come into the house to perform service. Whether they levy a separate charge for such service is, of course, dependent on a particular company's policy and whether or not the customer pays for "inside coverage".
Just remember that no one - NO ONE - is giving anything away for free. The consumer is paying for the service one way or another.
As with my company, regarding the upkeep of CPE (customer-provided equipment, including wire and cable), the customer pays monthly for an optional maintenance plan or they are charged a fee at the time of service.
I have no doubt that the monthly subscription is more lucrative for the company than the subscriber. However, $4.75/month (for example) is obviously more palatable for many customers than a big (often HUGE) one-time charge for a lengthy repair call.
--
:)
JR

Climb poles and dig holes

Yes for free but of course cable is not cheap. I've got 6 sets on the cable. Tech came in in corrected all my connections and took out the Radio Shack boosters which she said were not needed.
Frank

Nope. Not a one. <big grin>

Particularly if it comes and goes, that is easily the most difficult to find and fix. Automated tests usually "see" right through static and report no trouble.

If the trouble is on only ONE jack/outlet/phone, it's that jack/outlet/phone. If the trouble is on ALL jacks/outlets/phones, it's probably the line before it enters the house.

Many phone companies offer a monthly, inside wire maintenance plan. Minimally, this means the subscriber is not charged for a visit, regardless of where the trouble is. If you do NOT subscribe to this optional service, the phone company SHOULD (but is not required to) tell you when you report your trouble.
In my service area (Qwest/Omaha/Nebraska), if a SNID (Standard Network Interface Device) is NOT present, we do not charge if the trouble is inside and we are supposed to install the SNID at no charge.
Again, in my area, if a SNID IS present, and the trouble IS inside, AND the customer does NOT have inside coverage, we charge an $85 Trouble Isolation Charge to simply TELL them the trouble is inside. If asked inside to continue the repair, in ADDITION to the above-mentioned Trouble Isolation Charge, an hourly rate applies. It's $120/hr. <wow>
Conversely, across the river in Iowa, even if a SNID is present, we are not allowed to levy the Trouble Isolation Charge UNLESS we are asked to come inside. These policies and practices vary widely. Ask your telco.
If the trouble is equipment-caused, we will isolate to that equipment and simply hand it over to the customer like a dead toaster. If the trouble is wire and/or jack-related, we will repair or replace it.

Yeah, right. :)

You mentioned that the static trouble began AFTER tree trimming was done. Given that, even sight unseen, I can almost guarantee that the trouble is "drop"-related. The ASW (Aerial Service Wire) was probably somewhat compromised to begin with (squirrel damage, branch abrasion, etc) and the added abuse of pruned branches falling across the wire further damaged the wire, causing the static.
Here's an easy test: Call a friend and, while on the phone, have another person WHACK the drop wire with a broom or rake, causing stress replicating high wind. If the static is noticeably worse, the trouble IS in the ASW.
Order your telco's inside wire maintenance plan, endure the static for a couple more days after that, then call-in the repair. Done. Good luck!
--
:)
JR

Climb poles and dig holes

And, that sounds like a WINNER!

Due to the excellence of your post, I am hereby granting you Mrs. Clean's Very First Manly Man Award.
Congratulations, JR, you are a manly man!
Mrs. Clean

Aw, shucks, folks. I'm speechless! (Truly a first)
--
:)
JR

I had intermittent phone static for a couple of years; I was second owner of this six year old house. Finally got tired of it and paid the phone company to come troubleshoot. Repairman said that he found original installation wire connections (when the house was built) that were only lightly twisted together with no wire nuts. He made all connections firm and I have not had the problem again.