phone jack -wall mount

I just switched to highspeed internet and they wouldn't put the cable on the wall they wanted to drill a hole in my maple floors and attach the box to the baseboard which I don't have.

They are coming to install the phone part today and I thought I would try to fish the cable wire up the wall to and install acombination phone-cable outlet myself ...anything I should know before I start ?

how far off the floor

How far from electric out let ?

Tips?

Reply to
CathyLee

Of course they want the easiest job, have them do it so you will be happy.

Reply to
m Ransley

What kind of electrician did you hire? A very lazy one?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

She didn't hire an electrician. She is talking about her ISP. People want cheap prices so the usual practice is that the installers are limited to a small amount of time and will take the easiest way out. Most are very upfront with this and will tell you to hire someone (or do it yourself) to fish in a pull string if you want a concealed install.

Reply to
George

It is a pain dealing with utility people. They never want to do it the right way - rather, the easiest.

Be careful when you drill, so you don't mess up the floor. Try to put it in a different "stud" space than the power. Probably locate it at the same height as the power for appearance. I had luck with a cable installation for a house by drilling the holes, and threading a "fish" string through the holes into the basement where the wire would come from. They agreed to use that to pull the wire. Another possibility would be to have them install the jack somewhere easier, and use a wireless router wo transfer the signals to your computer.

You can buy "flexible" drills that make the job easier, but you have to use care to bend it enough to go through the floor rather than the outside board of the house.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Correct. Same thing happend to me. ISP installer indicated they were under contract to go the shortest and most direct route with least time invested but I had the option of going from point of use to an outside point and they would hook up to that.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Is this coming up from the bottom? If so just drill about 2" beyond the edge of the wall,floor joint and you will be up in the stud core. We rewired a friend's house like this from the crawl space under the house. We tapped the wall to find the center of the stud bay, Drilled a very small hole down next to the baseboard and stuck a wire in for a locator, then drilled up 2" on the wall side of the locator wire. That got us up in the stud bay. You then use a "cut in" box for the wire. With the 2x3 hole you can reach in to find the wire before you set the box

Don't pay any atention to the folks who say power lines interfere with the Cat5. It is bullshit. The phone company has miles of wire hanging right under power lines at 13KV or greater. The twist in the wire prevents interferance. LAN cards reject 60hz anyway.

Reply to
gfretwell

It happened to me (sort of) when I requested Comcast re-run my cable/internet cable and ground it properly. It was not grounded properly and I paid the price with lightening damage. Anyway, they now ground the cable arrestor to the electric meter. My electric meter has a deck and screened-in porch wrapped around it. So, after setting up the appointment, I put a pull wire from the electric meter to the edge of the deck. I also put a

2nd pull wire parallel to the house for the cable modem. When the guy arrived he said, "Well, I WAS go> >
Reply to
Art Todesco

But if you put it in the next stud bay, your chances of drilling into a wire are lessened.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

LOL. I tried to run wires down the outside wall of my second floor, and the roof was too low to get an electric drill upright above the wall. Even with a right-angle adapter, I couldn't do it. So I'm trying the flexible bit (I only had a 6 foot one, but that wasn't really the problem) and finally I'm through!! I scamper down the hatch to the ladder and down the stairs to the outside and run around the house only to see the bit sticking out of my wall. ;(

Fortunately I have a dark brown house on the second floor, adn they sell caulk the exact same color. 20 years and it hasn't shrunk yet. I don't even see it when I look. (maybe I should look.)

mm

If up from the bottom, another idea would be available if there are already receptacles or switches on the same wall. Go in the basement and the wires to these things problably come out in the basement ceiling.

Now I have an L shaped wall, so don't let something like that confuse you. I measure the distance from the wall to the stairway, and then in the basement from the same place horizontally in the stairway, to what should be the underside of the wall. I try to account for every wire, so that I don't mistake which is which.

You can probably use the same hole if you want to, or you can put another one 16 inches away, if there is 16 more inches to your wall, and if your studs are 16 inches apart. 16 inches exactly should put you in the same relative position in the next between-stud space.

mm