Phone jack Has to be near AC Receptacle?

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:56:57 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Didn't they have a spare bedroom?

I don't see this as a requirement, but recommended. My phone has an DC adapter to power the speakerphone and built-in answering machine. Never heard anyone say, "There are too many electrical outlets in this room!"

No. There is virtually NO code for residential phone wiring.

It is almost rare that the ONLY cord a phone line-using device is the "base" cord. Many devices that plug into a telephone outlet (jack) also require an AC power supply, hence the value of placing the phone jack near an AC outlet.
--
:)
JR

Mean Evil Bell System
John Ross wrote:

Sure. Sort of. Phone jack has to be within 6 feet of an outlet unless it is in a wall space that is less than 2 feet in width. NEC 2005 210.52(A)(1).
:-)
Except the NEC doesn't mention telephone jacks. Same code section would require a thumbtack in the wall to be within 6 feet of an outlet.

Hehehehe! I'm sure the addendum says something like: Except on those walls painted blue on a Thursday. Yadda, yadda...
--
:)
JR

John Ross wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I thought I would clear up a few things.
First, as far as the modem needing an outlet. I DO have outlets in the room. In fact, the wall in question has one in the middle. But, I need about 4 or 5 feet from that instead of 3 (I'll explain later). Anyway, in this scenario, the modem would be on the ajacent wall, which would have an outlet within 6 feet. I think it is possible to get a 6 foot phone cord!
One thing I thought of is that wall separates the garage from house. He said something about a "firewall" and so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also, he now just does commercial jobs, but said he would do this since it seemed straightforward and he had some time. So not sure if commercial is different from residential. However, he did do residential for years before quitting it recently (like everyone else I called!!!!!!!) so he should know the difference.
It is odd because I think he did say NEC "recommended" the 3 foot thing, so I can't understand his insistence on it. And, he comes extremely well recommended. But you all agree that this isn't even in the NEC.
Still confused. But, hey at least some had a nice nostalgia trip with talk of their princess phones :)
-- John

- However, he did do residential for years before quitting it recently - (like everyone else I called!!!!!!!) so he should know the difference.
Once again, I think you are giving him credit where credit is not warranted. Earlier, you gave him credit for mentioning the NEC when it wasn't applicable to the situation. Now you're assuming he knows the difference between residential codes and commercial codes simply because he did residential work for years. Who's to say that he knew the codes back then? Who's to say that he didn't bomb out of residential work due to his lack of knowledge/talent?
Ask yourself this: Why does he have time off from commercial work right now? If, as you say, everyone is moving from residential to commercial work, can one assume that there is a ton of commercial work to be had? Why is this guy available for "straightforward" jobs, all the while spouting code requirements that everyone says are wrong?
Have you gotten 3 quotes/opinions or are you running with the first guy you spoke with?