Phone bundle

Right now I pay

20 for phone 20 for inet 12 for cellphone 30 for Direct Tv

Because I am disable ATT gives me my land line for 20 month. I got ATT inet for $20 first year and that is running out. I was getting my cell phone for 12 bucks by being on a package with family. That is over. I got Direct TV for 30 bucks for the first year but that is running out. It will be 68 bucks a month soon and the contract is for another year. I get the Choice Xtra which I love. It has two stations I watch almost exclusively (Science Channel and H2) and would be very disappointed to have to give them up, but I could.

I really like having a landline. Although I don't use the phone much, I really like being able to answer/use the phone all over the house. Since I am considering some bundle packages I am open to Voip and as I don't use the phone much I really don't resist giving up ATT much anymore. My cellphone stays on the charger when I am home. My cellphone use is very low as well, but I really would like to get another low cost cellphone too.

Who is getting the most bang for the buck with a super sweet package deal?

Because I still have a year to go with Direct TV I am hoping I may be able to get into a package that will give me the Direct TV deal a year early.

Reply to
Metspitzer

The VoIP requires an internet connection. Whatever AT&T charges for the internet connection can be overcome by dropping the charges for the land-line.

If available in your area, consider cable for TV & internet. We use it here for internet with download speeds in excess of 25mb/sec (and upload of

3+mb/sec).

You can get out of your DirectTV contract by sending back the latest bill with a notation: "Subscriber is dead."

Reply to
HeyBub

That is such a great connection. I only switched from Charter because they complained about my usage. I had just bought a HDTV and an HD computer/screen. I was re downloading stuff I had already seen just to see it in HD. I could keep my usage down by not doing as much HD, but it doesn't make much since to have 25mb/sec speeds and a 200 G monthly limit. I was against the cap and voted with my feet.

Reply to
Metspitzer

We have Charter for Internet. We're supposed to get 18Mbps down and

3Mbps up, but I usually measure 30+ down and sometimes even in the 40s. I've never heard about any cap.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Use this free for a month: And then 20 bucks to use current version for ever. I think this will probably be the last version as it is finished. It does NZB automatically.

Use nntp.charter.net as your NZB server

Then this: Totally free

Tell us what your cap is.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Both Charter and comcast call the initial start of download (or running a speedtest) temporary boost in speed you are seeing "powerboost".

Charter caps here:

George

Why not just get rid of the landline? Then get one of the various BT to home phone adapters. That kills off one bill and you can use your existing home phones to call via your cellphone.

Reply to
George

Those look handy.

I was also reading this: Industry pundits predict that the next generation of cell phones will all include built-in Wi-Fi. With these hybrid or dual-mode phones, you?ll be able to seamlessly switch between cellular and VoIP over Wi-Fi when you come into range of a Wi-Fi hotspot, even within the same phone call.

Landlines are expected to all but disappear as the hybrid phones become a single solution for telephony, operating off the user?s Wi-Fi network at home and using cellular technology when there is no Wi-Fi network within range. This is predicted to lower the total cost of telephone service.

I don't need a smart phone, but I really want one :)

Reply to
Metspitzer

Land lines are starting to only make sense where the electric power is subject to disruption.

Folks with reliable power are dropping land line coverage right and left. Many have a "house" cell phone which, literally, never leaves the house. Each family member also has a cell.

IF I had high speed internet I might be tempted to go with VOIP (MagisJack is good). If the equipment needs utility power I would arrange UPS.

Reply to
John Gilmer