Philo's "Beyond Science" Question for the day.

Page 4 of 4
On 12/30/2013 9:41 PM, philo wrote:

Some threads take on a life of their own. This one, stirred not shaken (crimped or soldered) surprised me, a lot.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/31/2013 12:37 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, it got serious.
Something I am not.
On 12/30/2013 6:27 PM, gregz wrote:

I'm not saying that your statement is wrong, just incomplete.
Wind chill is about heat flow. Wind impinging on an object can increase the rate of heat flow. It cannot cause the temperature of the object to go below the ambient temperature of the wind...absent other effects like evaporation.
For non-homogenous objects with imperfect conductivity, like the human body, exposed skin can be damaged more quickly in cold wind, even if the core temperature is unchanged. Your car engine can't. It just cools faster, but only if you leave the hood open and let the wind blow directly on the engine.
On 12/30/2013 9:43 PM, mike wrote:

I was informed that wearing jewelry further increased the effect of wind chill. This became clear one time when I was helping clean up from a furnace repair, in cold weather. Handling the cold metal was far worse than I expected, and I ended up going to town and buy some heavy gloves. I don't wear any jewelry, or rings.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/30/2013 8:46 AM, philo wrote:

The poor thing, all alone and cold. We will see how it treats you this spring!