Philo's "Beyond Science" Question for the day.

Page 3 of 4
On 12/31/2013 08:02 AM, panabiker wrote:

More likely because it would blow the car all the way to the equator

Wind chill only applies to a mass, and how long it's subjected to a temperature. Residual heat can be stored for a given time, especially if it enclosed or insulated. Just because the nights low is zero, does not mean the mass will be at zero.
Greg
On 12/30/2013 08:27 PM, gregz wrote:

yes I know, this was posted as a joke you know
philo wrote:

No remote starter in this day and age? Why go out in the cold? Just use remote starter. You can program it any way you want. Mine has temp. sensor, it can start and run for 5 mins.(adjustable) at certain temp. Or I can program it to run every 5 hours all night for an example. You can do it with your smart phone as well.
On 12/30/2013 08:53 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I have to go out to shovel anyway...no big deal.
Besides if it really got bad, being retired...I can just say,
"maybe tomorrow"
philo wrote:

I am retired too but I am busier than ever, LOL!
On 12/31/2013 12:01 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Yep, me too.
My wife sees to that.

That's why I went back to work. ;-)
On 12/31/2013 02:21 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I do volunteer work now.
I love it!
philo wrote:

My scheduled activity is practicing in the band twice a week. During this season is hectic playing here and there all over. From now and then I do piece work on T&L basis to keep the brain from getting too rusty.
On 12/31/2013 02:34 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Here is where I do volunteer work
http://www.grandavenueclub.org/
On 12/31/2013 4:22 PM, philo wrote:

Good on ya. You can do a lot of good there.
On 12/31/2013 05:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's a good place and my wife does volunteer work there too, a lot more than I do.
It gets a lot of people who have been written off by society , back on their feet again.
Many end up getting enrolled in college and get jobs...
and as the executive director says, "and pay taxes" !
On 12/30/2013 10:00 PM, philo wrote:

But what about days there is no snow? It is a big deal then. When I park my car at night I also put the heated seat to the "on" position. Push a button and when I go out the car is warm, or at least nearly so.
Starts to cool down after being parked in the sun too!
On 12/31/2013 10:34 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On the days when I don't have to shovel I still need to take the trash out and my car is parked right next to the container...it is really not a big deal.
Though it might be when I get to be quite elderly, per my wife, we will be out of Wisconsin by then.

I'm not retired (well, I am, but I'm not ;) but would still say the same. ...if I were still in such a hell hole. ;-)

Not everyone can afford a remote starter. They are still considered somewhat of a luxury, even "in this day and age."
My son bought a used car. No remote starter. He planned on getting one before winter. He decided new tires were a much better idea. Smart kid.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I install them myself. This car came with one but the range was bad. I replaced with another after market one after confirming with dealer it won't void warranty. They are modular now, very easy to deal with.

I installed one 15 years ago. A pain fooling with wiring. I'll never install another. On the starter install had one that on a warm or cold day, you could leave your car running while running into store. It was probably the best uni at the time. It was a gift. I also wired up the lights so you could see the vehicle, and was also a thieve deterrent, going toward your car.
Greg
On 12/30/2013 10:46 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A luxury I don't need.
First off I am very much used to the cold Wisconsin winters and to just go out an start the car is no big deal.
I live very modestly on a relatively small amount of money,,,but because I don't buy things I don't need I feel in a way that I am pretty well off.
I take my wife to NY once a year and we have a blast. Things like that are more important than having a car starter etc.