Phil's compressor question

I drain my compressor every time I use it. Should I leave the drain valve open to ensure that no moisture collects? I use my compressor about 3 times a month or so.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

If the tank is empty (of air), leaving the valve open won't hurt anything.
I just leave my compressor charged up (with air), and open the drain for a second each time it runs. They sell kits to do this automatically, here is one from HF:
http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-compressor-drain-kit-46960.html
Their website isn't working right now, but that's the link for it, anyway.
Jon

None of the numerous air compressors I have bought over the years mentioned anything like that in the operating instructions. Operating manuals are available for many brands on line, and that is a source for info as well. Unless something like that has been published it is safe to assume that an open drain doesn't buy you anything in between uses. Just drain it often in the summertime hot humid weather and you will be fine.
Joe

The moisture comes out of the air when it is compressed. Leaving the drain open when not in use will not do any good once you drain the water out and do not run the compressor any more.

It won't make any difference if it is not running. Are you getting much water out? I drain mine about ne a year and get very little, but that depends on use, climate, etc. Our big (150 hp) compressor at work drains every 20 minutes.