PEX tools

I'm considering buying crimping tool(s) for pex in 1/2 and 3/4". BUT it seems there's about a million and five different ones on the internet and ebay. Could someone experienced in PEX plumbing recommend a crimper or crimpers for a homeowner with occasional use?
thanks
steve barker
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:29:49 -0600, "S. Barker"

CrimpMaker No. HCM3 1/2"
CrimpMaker No. HCM2 3/8"
Find a combo crimper for both; a 1/2" - 3/4".
Oren --
S. Barker wrote:

For a homeowner: http://www.pexcrimper.com /
Cheap and it works - makes as solid a crimp as the $200 'pro' crimpers, and can fit into much tighter areas.

I don't know squat about the tools mentioned but a's comment about tight spaces is spot on. My buddy came to my double-wide cabin to help with my PEX and I noted that one handle of his crimper appeared to have broken off. "Nope", he says. 'I cut it off so that I could get into tighter quarters".

I know what you mean. The 1" PEX crimpers we have at work have very long handles. What we did was cut off one side and drilled it out. Then studded the other side. Now, you can unthread one side and then put it back when you done using it in a confined area.
One day though I am going to buy the guys new crimpers as they make some smaller ones now.
Tim

Qest (aka Zurn) now has their stainless steel ring system out. It uses one tool for all fittings 1" and smaller. It uses the same fittings as the really cheap copper rings. Tool is under $100 at home depot and lowes and professional jobbers in my area. Rings are also available all those places. They are more expensive than the cheap copper rings, and a bit more than the generic "stainless steel rings" (oetiker pattern) but wide availability makes them ideal for the homeowner, IMHO. If like me, you end up needing another part after 8pm on saturday night, and being able to get it at the big box is very handy.
Rings are like this: (Amazon.com product link shortened) (Can pick up bags of 10 or so at the home centers.)
In other words, buy the tool, a few rings in the sizes you need, probably under $100. Add appropriate fittings and pipe.
sdb
--
What\'s seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com