PEX Tips

Are there are tips the collective group can offer to using PEX 3/4 " tubing? I'm using Watts Quik Connect fittings and will be tying into 1/2" copper fixture risers. Thanks.
Using Hot & cold separate manifolds ? Why use 3/4" PEX to go to 1/2" copper rather than use 1/2" all the way ?

Probably because resistance is dependent upon length as well as diameter.

Joe wrote:

for domestic water but since no details were offered about why 3/4" was chosen it makes sense to question it.

Quite true

Thats where I was coming from George. I've seen plenty of PEX manifolds for regular homes and all of them had 1/2" runs to the risers. Seems to work well since most of the faucets etc are actually fed by 3/8" pipe anyway

Because; bigger is always better, I'd do my house in 3" if it was feasible, then I could use flushvalve toilets.
flushomters only require 1"
wrote:

Because; bigger is always better, I'd do my house in 3" if it was feasible, then I could use flushvalve toilets.

I'll bet they work better with bigger pipes. The minimum requirement for Windows XP is 128mb ram, 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space, try that some time. The minimum requirement for sky diving is a paper towel with 4 strings tied to the corners.

No...bigger is NOT always better.
In most residential installations 1/2" is just fine, larger tubing & the associated fittings are more expensive.
In fact using larger diameter tubing than necessary will only increase hot water wait time.
OP - Short answer about 3/4" PEX, dont use it .... not necessary.
Long answer - unless you have an unusual installation or requirements OR are doing a branch & main installation, I do not see the need for 3/4" PEX.
IMO the best PEX system is Wirsbo tubing & expander type connections and home run installation with copper valved manifolds, all 1/2" tubing.
cheers Bob
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:42:53 -0700, Rudy wrote:

My son-in-law just hooked up his bathtub with 3/4" and it fills VERY fast, much nicer than 1/2" supply lines. Unless it is a very long run, 1/2" would do well for most other applications.

http://www.toolbase.org/Design-Construction-Guides/Plumbing/pex-design-guide
The guide recommends 1/2" lines for most residential applications, and 3/8" lines for lower volume fixture runs.