PEX plumbing connection preferences

Page 2 of 2
Oren wrote:

Yes, it does.
Oren wrote:

Perhaps he's not governed by code. Perhaps he's is and not telling them. Many variables here. Code is not God.
<DIV>I am getting ready to do some PEX plumbing for the first time and I am <BR>learning about the various types of PEX systems and connections.&nbsp; I have <BR>done copper and PVC/CPVC plumbing before but I want to learn and start using <BR>PEX.<BR><BR>Here's a YouTube video I found that explains 6 types of PEX connections:<BR><BR>PEXsupply.com - 6 types of PEX connections (time 8:35)<BR><BR><A title="
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvAzcJpM0k&#10
;CTRL + Click to follow link" href="
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvAzcJpM0k
">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvAzcJpM0k
</A><BR><BR><BR>Which of these types of PEX connection systems would you suggest or <BR>recommend?&nbsp; I expect to be doing enough PEX plumbing now and in the future <BR>that I am not worried about the cost of the tools.&nbsp; But I would be <BR>interested in knowing how the different systems compare in terms of the cost <BR>of the fittings, the brand or type of PEX tubing required for each system, <BR>etc.<BR><BR>P.S. I also found these two that give more general info about PEX:<BR><BR>Plumbpedia 4 PEX Water Pipe Part 1 (time 6:50)<BR><A title="
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZyVrw4gV5k&#10
;CTRL + Click to follow link" href="
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZyVrw4gV5k
">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZyVrw4gV5k
</A></DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>QuikConect fittings are very expensive but not as expensive as the brass versions of Shark Byte (I believe).&nbsp;Crimp connections are relatively&nbsp;inexpensive.&nbsp; A Quik connect T for example is about 9 or 11 bucks and valves about 14$.&nbsp; These are 3/4" prices but the 1/2" are also&nbsp; expensive.&nbsp; Also you have to be absolutely sure if you use the push in plastic&nbsp;fittings that you have&nbsp; it ALL the way in. Listen for 2 clicks. The second one&nbsp;takes a lot of hand pressure. Try to assemble as much of it as you can before&nbsp;it is in the wall or floor.&nbsp; I asked for some tips in this group about 3 weeks ago but didn't get any response.&nbsp;&nbsp;Also I had the misconception that the PEX was very flexible to make bends. .I learned that&nbsp;is not so. You need a pretty large radius to make a bend or turn without the need ells or T's.&nbsp; It goes up fast though.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><BR><BR><BR><BR>Plumbpedia 4 PEX Water Pipe Part 1 (time 6:50)<BR><BR><A href="
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJMKVGSFc-Y&amp
;NR=1">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJMKVGSFc-Y&amp
;NR=1</A><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Yeah, a three minute wait for hot water in the kitchen is a bit much.
But why would it take three minutes to purge the cold water from the hot water line to the kitchen?
If you have a PEX 1/2 line with a home run installation...worst case wait for hot water would be less than 30 secs (about a gallon - 1/4)
I believe there might be a temperature sensor sensor that shuts the pump off when the hot water "arrives". (unless I have this product mixed up with another "point of use" hot to cold transfer system)
Coupled with a timer & a "permanent on" "hot wire" job this unit might fit the bill.....
but all in all, a lot of work to save a few 's worth of water everyday in the kitchen.

cheers Bob