PEX Plumbing

I'm building a new house, and just learned that the plumbing contractor installs only PEX (Cross-linked polyethylene) plumbing. I've seen some segments on this stuff on various home improvement shows, and the opinions I've heard have been generally favorable. One thing I do wonder, though, is if the PEX tubing tends to impart any 'plasticky' taste in the water? Anyone have any experience with it that can comment?

Thanks,

Doug D.

Reply to
D Duddles

I have used pex plumbing in my home for seversl years and have found no taste at all.

Reply to
Don W.

Speny last 7 yrs in 2 "pex" homes. No "Taste"

Reply to
Rudy

We have Wirsbo AquaPex. I like it better than coper.

Only one issue, you need the "tool" to mess with it, like add water softener etc etc etc

Brian

Reply to
Mike Jak

My home circa 1999 is PEX and the only thing I dis like is the 40 psi max pressure for it. I like stiff showers. I would have preferred that copper was used for the rear outside hose bib, showers, washer. The bathroom sinks and toilets get enough water with the 40 psi. I guess you could always run 3/4 instead of the 1/2 or 3/8 that I have to get more volume.

I drink filtered water. No taste when I rinse my teeth in the bathroom

Reply to
SQLit

What brand of PEX has a 40psi max pressure?

Reply to
Terry

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Are you sure its rated 40# ? Where did you get this idea ? Is there any of your piping accessible, say in bsmt or crawl to recheck? Perhaps its a 40 oC rating for temperature rather than pressure. Ours is rated 100# @ 180 oF and 160 # @ 73 oF We ran 85# in our last house for 5 yrs and 70 in this one.

Reply to
Rudy

What is "the tool" about? Easy to get? I've heard only about trailers and boats with this sort of plumbing. I didn't realize it was migrating to houses so quickly.

Reply to
mbrooks

Check this out...

about ~ $220/USD and this

and this

My house was built by one of the top 5 builder in US ( Estate Collection). I think builder was after 25 year warrantee...

Brian

Reply to
Mike Jak

Good thought on the rating. The only thing I've seen rated for 40 or

50 psi is food grade polyethylene tub>
Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Here, The Home Depot rents the tool by the day for 10 bucks

Reply to
Rudy

To me the idea of manifold plumbing using PEX sounds like the way to go now days

Is that true?

Reply to
me6

I rented one and it cost about 10 for 1/2 day. If you plumb with the stuff, you want to buy the tool, unless you are really fast and never have any maintenance problems. Most tools where I live rent for a price that is about 1/4 to 1/6 per day of the cost of buying. Anything that spills over a week means you should buy the tool, probably can sell it for 1/2 of the buying cost, so much cheaper than renting.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Thats what they re installing around here, including my basement

Reply to
Rudy