PEX pipe and nasty taste/smell

A few years back we built a house and the installers used the blue and red PEX pipe and a central manifold to distribute the water. When any faucet was turned on, there would be a gasoline-like smell come out with the water for about a minute, and the water was not drinkable until the odor dissapated. Does this sound like contamination in the pipe or possibly the manifold? We moved from the house after about 6 months, so I don't know if it persisted beyond that, but it was still strong after 6 months.
I thought about having it checked for chemicals, but the county only tests for specific chemicals and you have to pay $100 for each test. You'd think they could put it in a spectal analyzer and tell you what everything is in the water.
-JasonW
We moved away quite a while ago, so I don't have a way to tell you that. I only remember the red and blue flexible pipe and the manifold. It was a great house, but I don't miss that water.
Is there a particular make that has had problems like this?
-JasonW

red
dissapated.
persisted
tests
think
in
We moved away quite a while ago, so I don't have a way to tell you that. I only remember the red and blue flexible pipe and the manifold. It was a great house, but I don't miss that water.
Is there a particular make that has had problems like this?
-JasonW

red
dissapated.
persisted
tests
think
in
One more question...
Who cares- you moved away!

red
dissapated.
persisted
tests
think
in
I care for future building plans. If this is a known problem, then I'd rather spend a bit more for copper or pvc.
-JasonW

faucet
water
manifold?
is

new
manifold
Same here. And Jason, you can't use PVC, it has to be CPVC. Also, copper should only be used if the water quality to be run through it allows for the use of copper.
Gary Quality Water Associates

I'd

red
faucet was

water for

dissapated.
manifold? We

persisted
tests
think
is in

You don't live there any more, so why are we talking about this and especially the testing you didn't have done? PEX is inert and either the tubing was contaminated accidentally or the water was the problem.
As to testing, there are many labs and water treatment dealers that test water other than "the county". And all you needed was a hydrocarbon scan. If "the county" didn't tell you that, or doesn't use that test.... shame on them and that should be another reason why people shouldn't rely on government.
Gary Quality Water Associates