PEX in California yet?

I know there was a battle to get PEX allowed into California in the last few years.

Does anyone have an update? Is it close to being allowed in?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
rminv

Allowed? In California?

I certainly hope so since a lot of the homes in the Victorville area have the red & blue tube.

btw ~200 cities towns in CA allow PEX

is in the San Francisco Bay Area (415 area code) so I assume he probably sells locally?

Reply to
BobK207

My understanding is that it is not approved on a state-wide basis, but is currently allowed by certain local jurisdictions. My jurisdiction (Berkeley, CA) does not allow it, for example, while I hear it is being used in subdivisions in less urban areas. As to the status of PEX in the current code cycle, I don't know.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

What's interesting is that

based in San Jose suggests the use of PEX (were allowed) as a means to reduce copper going into the bay

but I wonder if San Jose allows PEX, Berkeley does not

I guess this goes back to one of my favorite topics...the code is a minimum standard agreed to by a commitee of members of various interests & motivations....how good can it be?

The copper & plumbing lobbies want to kill PEX, the PEX folks want it it, the "save the bay" folks like PEX & CPVC, the granola heads are afraid of the MBTE(?)

I'm SO confused! What to do? I guess I'll just stick with 75 year old galv & some copper repairs until it's all sorted out.

But as a former hard core copper guy who's recently jumped ship for PEX, I hope they allow it statewide to reduce the confusion.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I know that Schwarzenneger campaigned on a platform to allow it in CA. Is there any outlook for legislation getting passed on this subject?

BobK207 wrote:

rminv