PEX in California yet?

I know there was a battle to get PEX allowed into California in the last few years.
Does anyone have an update? Is it close to being allowed in?
Thanks, Tim
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Allowed? In California?
I certainly hope so since a lot of the homes in the Victorville area have the red & blue tube.
btw ~200 cities towns in CA allow PEX
http://www.thepexguy.com/home.php
is in the San Francisco Bay Area (415 area code) so I assume he probably sells locally?

My understanding is that it is not approved on a state-wide basis, but is currently allowed by certain local jurisdictions. My jurisdiction (Berkeley, CA) does not allow it, for example, while I hear it is being used in subdivisions in less urban areas. As to the status of PEX in the current code cycle, I don't know.
Cheers, Wayne
Wayne Whitney wrote:

What's interesting is that
http://www.sanjoseca.gov/ESD/PDFs/cu_designers_05_03.pdf#search=%22san%20francisco%20bay%20copper%20pex%22
based in San Jose suggests the use of PEX (were allowed) as a means to reduce copper going into the bay
but I wonder if San Jose allows PEX, Berkeley does not
I guess this goes back to one of my favorite topics...the code is a minimum standard agreed to by a commitee of members of various interests & motivations....how good can it be?
The copper & plumbing lobbies want to kill PEX, the PEX folks want it it, the "save the bay" folks like PEX & CPVC, the granola heads are afraid of the MBTE(?)
I'm SO confused! What to do? I guess I'll just stick with 75 year old galv & some copper repairs until it's all sorted out.
But as a former hard core copper guy who's recently jumped ship for PEX, I hope they allow it statewide to reduce the confusion.
cheers Bob
I know that Schwarzenneger campaigned on a platform to allow it in CA. Is there any outlook for legislation getting passed on this subject?