PEX... fittings really supposed to be that loose before crimping?

Going to be adding a faucet in our laundry room and I've gotten all the materials I need, except the crimper (picking it up today).

I did a dry run and the 1/2" pex fittings sure seem loose inside the 1/2" line.

Will the metal crimp ring really tighten this up or am I missing something?

Reply to
Noozer

ianjones

Reply to
ianjones

Hi, Crimping tool has to be properly adjusted(calibrated), then no sweat!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes. When you get the crimper, ensure you get the "go - no go" tool to check crimps.

Good luck..

Oren

Oren

Typical Home Despot... They didn't have a clue what the "go - no go" gauge was, even after I explained how it was used. The rental desk didn't have any and there were none on the shelf to be purchased.

Unfortunately, HD rents the crimper for $9/day. Anyplace else wants $25/day.

I'll need it!

I've done a few crimps, they look good and are solid. I'm sure that all will be well.

Reply to
Noozer

I just finished repairing a large section of galvanized with PEX and yes the thing is rather loose before you crimp it. It really holds a good amount of pressue when its crimped, but using that tool is a gigantic pain in the ass, especially when you're in awkward positions.

I'm not totally sure what good the go/no-go gauge is, but so far I pass the tests. Seems like it the no-go gauge should be larger than the go guage, maybe they're testing to make sure the crimp isn't too tight?

Reply to
Eigenvector

The gages are to ensure that the crimped ring is neither too loose nor too tight. To ensure that the outside of the crimped ring is between some 2 size limits, the no-go must be smaller than the go. If you were measuring the inside diameter the no-go would be larger. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

I think of go/no-go gauges in terms of bolt action firearms - since I do early war model restorations. There the Go gauge means the clearance from the bolt face to the chamber is within factory tolerances, the no-go gauge means it exceeds those specifications, and the field gauge means it exceeds the military's specifications.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Yes, that type of gage is measuring space, as you would be if measuring an inside diameter. If you are measuring outside diameter then the concepts are a little different.

Think of a very crude go/no-go gage to check if a group of rods are between

2 inches and 3 inches in diameter. The go gage would be 3 inches so all good rods would fit in it. Any rods over 3 inches would not fit in it. The no-go gage would be a little less than 2 inches. No good rods would fit in it and any that did would be too small. So any rod which fits into the go gage and does not fit into the no-go gage must be between 2 and 3 inches and be okay.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

We rented the crimper from Home Depot..$ 10/day IIRC You are using the proper pex connections, right? They look like cast brass (yellow metal)

Reply to
Rudy

I'm surprised that Harbor Freight doesn't sell one for $14.95

Reply to
Anonymous