PEX and water hammers

I'm a fixin' to replumb a rental 100% in PEX. Do i need hammer arrestors with PEX? It'll be a kitchen sink, a bath sink, tub, toilet, and washer hookup. Only one bath, only one story. Small house i expect to do the entire job with about 100' of tubing and a new water heater. I probably will install an expansion tank also.
thanks
steve

Short answer....yes you need arrestors.
I've done two houses in PEX. Copper valved, home run style manifolds.
The first house (2 story, 2 bath) had arrestors at the service entrance, at the input to the cold water manifold and at the washer. At first I figured I could slide on the need for arrestors for the two toilets. Once we started using the new system, it was clear that at least the upstairs toilet needed an arrestor. Luckily I had access to the upstairs toilet plumbing (in an attic) and could easily add the arrestor. I added it and the hammer noise when away.
The downstairs toilet only had a very short run of PEX from the cold manifold, which itself had large SS bellows type arrestor. IMO, the short PEX run to the toilet combined with the manifold arrestor prevented any hammer from the downstairs toilet.
On the second home; one story ranch, 2 bath ....we put arrestors "everywhere"....kitchen cold, washing machine, all toilets......no hammer.
I would suggest the same arrestor usage....... unless kitchen or bath faucets are single handle style. Single handle faucets can be shut off quickly enough to cause hammer. Even two handle faucets can be shut off quickly enough to cause hammer if one makes the effort.
If that is the case, I would suggest the use of arrestors on them as well.
cheers Bob
thanks Bob , for the realistic answer...
[...]
Steve Barker wrote:

Something is really broken with whatever you set up up in outlook express. Top posting usually used for email is confusing enough in threads where everyone else is using normal newsgroup bottom posting but now your replies just appear as one huge reply with no preservation of threading.
George wrote:

Check his from- he probably isn't using Outlook Express. Most likely the Google Groups web interface, which is famous for hosing attribution marks.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

It showed this: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
and the fix for the really lame quoting algorithm in OE is this:
Put an end to Outlook Express' messy quotes with this automated fix!
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix /
George wrote:

I downloaded and installed OE-Quotefix a couple of months ago and it works well.
George wrote:

My bad- I thought you were shaking your finger at Bob, not Steve.
Rather than use mystery plugins, I just switched to Firefox/Tbird. Only have to go back to IE and OE for certain sites that won't talk correctly to anything else.
-- aem sends...
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Same here, both are free downloads, work well and are easy to set up. I have never used OE for anything.
In case anyone can't find them they are available at:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird /
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US /
Actually neither. Don't do google groups. Don't do outlook express.
steve
message

I know where i'm at with it....

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:06:53 -0600, "Steve Barker"

Water hammer on metal pipe is annoying and can get loud. On a rare occasion it can cause a pipe fracture.
But water hammer on PEX is much worse. If someone is walking under one of the PEX pipes in the basement, they could die due to the water hammer. If the water hammer is severe, those flimsy PEX pipes can start to whip around at an extremely high speed. The greater the water pressure, the higher the torque of the whipping pipes. It's not uncommon for a water hammer episode to get these PEX pipes whipping so harshly and forceful that they literally shatter several 2x10 floor joists, doing serious structural damage to the building, and even tearing holes right thru the floor above the pipes. The next thing there is furniture falling thru the floor into the basement, and heaven forbid a young child is sleeping above these pipes in their crib.
Now imagine this. You or a family member are walking thru the basement when someone flushes a toilet. Seconds later these PEX pipes begin whipping around the basement knocking down heating ducts, ripping out wiring, and damaging floor joists. Worse yet, YOU are directly under these plastic pipes and you become decapitated and.or lose other limbs from your body. Although the PEX industry has put a hush on hundreds of PEX related deaths, the word has leaked out and this news is quickly spreading. PEX KILLS !!!!
I'd recomment placing a water hammer arrestor every six inches along all runs of PEX pipe. The life you save may be your own, or another family member.
SAFETY FIRST (or shortly after you get drunk).
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Where did you get this bullshit story?
--
Van Chocstraw