Pex and hose clamps

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Multi housing units like apartment, condo, towwnhouse has sprinklers per code up here. That fire is huge.
On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 3:53:17 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

I guess the fire was bigger than the sprinklers...... IDK, it's an interesting point. I checked and they did have a sprinkler system. Even more interesting, the Dems who want more regulation of everything immediately seized on it to try to force sprinklers into one and two family homes here in NJ, using the Edgewater Fire as an example. Not a very good example, if you ask me.......
On 3/9/2015 11:46 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Nice to hear you were accident free. I've heard a drop or two of dish soap helps the water soak in better. Did you spray the wood before striking a torch?
On 3/9/2015 4:19 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I remember from some where, sunlight UV rays destroy pex. They try not to store it outdoors in the sun before it's installed. or after.
On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 08:56:01 -0400, Stormin Mormon

The outer Pex may degradem but the aluminum keeps UV from reaching the inner layer od PEX and is, in itself, UV resistant as well.
On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 02:19:00 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

The beauty od PEX is it is flexible. Really no need to srimp inside a wall. Preassemble what goes at the top - crimp it all together, then drop the pipe down the wall to the basement in "conventional" buildings, or stuff it up the wall to the attic in "on slab" construction, and make the connections in the open either in the basement or attic. MUCH better than using a torch inside a wall to sweat fittings on rigid copper pipe.
As for FASTER? A crimp can be done in about 5 seconds, wich is about 20 seconds less than a good sweat job and a lot faster than a troublesome one.

Nope, there is enough "wiggle room" for the water to expand into the pex pipe so no great ezpansion force is exerted on the fitting. Just like your garden hose fittings.

Nope.

Paint it or cover it.. Use only good quality latex paint for painting PEX (exterior house paint is fine) White with titanium dioxide likely the best choice.

On 3/8/2015 7:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

trim it off. Then, it's bottom posting.] is perfectly acceptable, stormy

--
.
Christopher A. Young
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have couple joints leading to water softener. I used double(one after another) no leak, still holding after couple years. I bought the clamps from auto parts store. MY regulated water pressure is 60 psi.

The PEX crimp tool is cheap (less than $30) and the crimp rings are cheaper that a good hose clamp. If I was using PEX I'd use the approved method.

Where did you get a pex tool for $30? Most I have seen are at least $65 and those are for only one size pex. The multiple size tools are $90 and up, and then you still have to buy a GO-NOGO gauge, ($10) and a clamp remover ($35 or more).
Then, if you're working in a tight place, you will need "tight place" crimp tool, which is operated by tightening several bolts. That one costs around $40. So, in the end, from the prices I've seen, to have all the basic tools would cost around $200 (or more).
I suppose a person could do the whole job with the "tight space" tool, but you'll probably spend 10 minutes or more per fitting. And you still need the GO-NOGO tool, and if you screw up a crimp, you still need the remover tool.
And I just know someone is going to say use "Shark Bite" connectors in this thread. Well, at $6.00 for one 1" elbow, and much more for Tees and other fittings, the price of that job could cost a small fortune. Plus, those "shark bite" connectors are not fail safe. A friend called me several years ago, and said whenever he turned on the shower in his tub, the bathroom flooded. After ripping out a wall, we found a "shark bite" connector right behind the pipe feeding the shower head. It was wedged against a 2x4 block, to which the shower head pipe was secured. The "release" portion of that connector was tight against that 2x4, and the pex pipe had come out of the shark bite fitting. I replaced the whole thing with copper for him.
Luckily it was not a pipe under constant pressure, ir there would have been much more damage to the home. The rest of his home had copper pipe, but the former owner of that home had a company remodel the bathroom, and they installed a new shower/tub faucet assembly, and used that PEX. Since the wall was open, we replaced the other two pieces of PEX that went from the basement for hot and cold water to that tub faucet, with copper.
On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 14:59:03 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

No reason you can't use the "tight place" crimper instead of the $65 or $90 tool. and my brother bought his 2-size tool for $45 Canadian.

That wasn't the fault of the shark bite. That's what you call an ID10T problem.

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 14:59:03 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

You'll probably find all those tools cheaper on Amazon. They have a well-reviewed crimper for 27 bucks. 3/8" to 1".
Vic Smith wrote:

Of course cheap ones work well for few time use. I rent the pro quality when I need it for a job taking half a day or so. Good result needs good tool in experienced hands. I always like to watch pros do their work chatting with them when I have a chance.

For all you know, pro plumbers are using this tool. But it doesn't take a "pro" to crimp PEX. None of reviewers said they were a "pro." And one did ~100 crimps. That's about 80 more than I'd need to plumb my entire house. I'd never rent an old tool when I can buy a good one new for $27. But if you want to pay more money to feel like a "pro", you can do that. Get the same exact tool at Lowes for $50.
On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 20:37:08 -0600, Vic Smith

3/4", came with 10 of each size ring, and does not require a go-nogo guage. It is a ratchet crimper that will not release untill the clamp is fully tightened. He didn't buy it online and have to wait a week - he picked it up at the local hardware store - in stock, right off the shelf, 5 minutes from home.