Pex and hose clamps

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

For the practice of posting to raise the visibility of an Internet forum thread, see Bump (Internet).

When a message is replied to in e-mail, Internet forums, or Usenet, the original can often be included, or "quoted", in a variety of different posting styles.

The main options are interleaved posting (also called inline replying, in which the different parts of the reply follow the relevant parts of the original post), bottom-posting (in which the reply follows the quote) or top-posting (in which the reply precedes the quoted original message). For each of those options, there is also the issue of whether trimming of the original text is allowed, required or preferred.

For a long time the traditional style was to post the answer below as much of the quoted original as was necessary to understand the reply (bottom or inline). Many years later, when email became widespread in business communication, it became a widespread policy to reply above the entire original and leave it untouched below the reply.

While each online community differs on which styles are appropriate or acceptable, within some communities the use of the "wrong" method risks being seen as a breach of netiquette, and can provoke vehement response from community regulars.

Reply to
clare

copper splits and leaks when frozen, and the lines need replaced/

PEX tolerates freezing, and most often expands when froze with no real damage, then melts and goes back to normal

OEX is way easier to work with. plus saves tons of time installing

Reply to
bob haller

Yes, I have dealt with frozen copper pipes splitting. Actually, iron pipe holds up better when frozen, but that is hard to install in a finished building. CPVC splits too, and breaks apart when frozen. It's weaker than copper.

I dont know if I agree about PEX being easier to work with, because I can sweat copper pipes quite fast, since I have done a lot of it. CPVC is even easier and quicker to work with, and is the least costly of all, but it has it's problems too.

I did help someone install some PEX, and I thought it was a pain in the butt to crimp inside walls. For NEW work, it's probably easy, but not in a finished building. I can solder in a much tighter place, and I know it's not going to leak, whereas a crimp inside a small wall opening can not be inspected real well. In fact, when I helped that guy, I refused to do the crimps in tight places because I did not want the guy suing me later because some joint came apart and flooded his home. I helped with all the other parts of the job, but made him do the crimps himself. I only did a few exposed ones by the water heater. He did a lot of cussing when he was crimping in tight places, and I could see why.

But I have heard many times that the PEX pipe holds up better when it freezes, and I can see where the pipe itself will hold up. Garden hoses dont normally break when they freeze either. It's all about having room to expand. Working a farm, I have garden hoses freeze all the time, and once thawed they are fine. BUT.... What happens to the PEX fittings and the crimped joints. A brass fitting is not all that much different than a copper pipe. Dont they split or break? And even if a crimp ring was properly crimped, dont the ice force the fitting to separate from the PEX pipe, when the ice expands?

One other thing, how does sunlight affect PEX? I know many of not most plastics degrade from sunlight exposure. What about PEX? Sure, most of the time it's inside a basement or a wall, but in my case, I will be running some of it on the surface of walls. There is no basement and I'm not going to rip the whole building apart. Much can be run under cabinets and thru closets, but there will be some exposed.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Some plumbers use PEX in tight spaces because soldering can burn the house down.

Exposed in the house is OK. Outdoors there is a PEX with UV protection.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I remember from some where, sunlight UV rays destroy pex. They try not to store it outdoors in the sun before it's installed. or after.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

again. If there is trailing text, it's polite to trim it off. Then, it's bottom posting.] is perfectly acceptable, stormy

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I guess they should have had you on this recent job:

Took out about a square block. IDK what they did or didn't do, but the results were the worst I've ever seen.

Reply to
trader_4

Nice to hear you were accident free. I've heard a drop or two of dish soap helps the water soak in better. Did you spray the wood before striking a torch?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some decades ago a couple roofers doing a torch down job had a fire on the roof of the carousel, at Seabreeze ammusement park in Irondequioit, NY. They tried a couple extinguishers, and the FD is literally across the street (volunteer FD). The fire took down the entire carousel.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I worked as a plumber for almost 10 years, back on the 80s. I never set any fires, and probably installed copper in well over 100 homes. Sure, wood got slightly charred a few times, but that's normal, and wjy I always had a spray bottle full of water handy, just to make sure nothing would ignite. Back then, PEX did not exist in my area, in fact I never even heard of it. CPVC was not allowed either in the city I woeked in. But that later changed.

Thanks, I was not aware of that!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

The beauty od PEX is it is flexible. Really no need to srimp inside a wall. Preassemble what goes at the top - crimp it all together, then drop the pipe down the wall to the basement in "conventional" buildings, or stuff it up the wall to the attic in "on slab" construction, and make the connections in the open either in the basement or attic. MUCH better than using a torch inside a wall to sweat fittings on rigid copper pipe.

As for FASTER? A crimp can be done in about 5 seconds, wich is about

20 seconds less than a good sweat job and a lot faster than a troublesome one.

Nope, there is enough "wiggle room" for the water to expand into the pex pipe so no great ezpansion force is exerted on the fitting. Just like your garden hose fittings.

Nope.

Paint it or cover it.. Use only good quality latex paint for painting PEX (exterior house paint is fine) White with titanium dioxide likely the best choice.

Reply to
clare

Then there is PAP, or Pex-Al-Pex which is pex with an aluminum core. The outer Pex may degradem but the aluminum keeps UV from reaching the inner layer od PEX and is, in itself, UV resistant as well.

Reply to
clare

VERY difficult and expensive to get insurance for hot roofing contractors, and torch-down membrane is getting difficult now too. Too many dummies burning down buildings.

Reply to
clare

Hi, Multi housing units like apartment, condo, towwnhouse has sprinklers per code up here. That fire is huge.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I guess the fire was bigger than the sprinklers...... IDK, it's an interesting point. I checked and they did have a sprinkler system. Even more interesting, the Dems who want more regulation of everything immediately seized on it to try to force sprinklers into one and two family homes here in NJ, using the Edgewater Fire as an example. Not a very good example, if you ask me.......

Reply to
trader_4