Permit to construct a deck

I know it probably varies by state, but what are the requirements to get a permit to build a deck. This would be in Friendswood, Texas.
Thanks.
In most places it varies by county. For a deck you will probably fill out a form, you may have to submit a plan showing where the deck is to be built, pay a fee and maybe schedule an inspection.

In some states you won't need one if it's not attached to your house and less than a certain measurement off the ground.
Here in Michigan I ran into a strange little problem.
I wanted a walk out deck, so I went down to get a permit. They actually told me there not to get one, and not to have it inspected. If I were to get the permit, the fence that I attached to the deck would have been too tall to comply with the ordinances, however if it were not attached, I could have the fence the way I wanted, it just needed to be under 10 feet. I built the deck right next to the house, but not attached, I had an inspector come out for taking a look at the door that I framed in at the same time, and he said nothing about the deck, he just made sure it wasn't attached.
Joe

Joe Zimmerman wrote:

Here, I inquired about drilling a new well. The law is that septic systems can't be put in closer than 150 ft from a well. A well can be drilled anywhere. Advice from the town: Put in your septic system first then you can put the well where you want it.
Makes sense????
RB

If you're REALLY into recycling, maybe.
--Goedjn

the well should be located at a higher ground level than the septic.............duh! not just anywhere........otherwise you would be recycling the septic water in your well.
The important thing is to pay the fee.
RB
The Firm2 wrote:

Call your local Building Dept. Out here in rural Tennessee the only permits required are for septic and incoming electrical service to a new home. I just added a 200 sq ft room, no permits, no inspections, all legal. I think this is the kind of freedom our forefathers envisioned for Americans.
Bob

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 16:25:10 GMT, "rck"

I can't seem to envision our forefathers even considering that we would be adding decks and putting in septic tanks or electrical service (;->
It is interesting to read how much the semi literate tend to giving the forefathers credit for!
Sometimes it's good not to get all the government you pay for.
Bob
wrote:

permits
think
On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 11:44:51 -0000, "andrewkennedy2"

I'll bet you could find out all the specifics here:
http://www.ci.friendswood.tx.us/content_pages/Departments/Community_Development/building_permit.asp
By the way, that's two minutes on Google. Try it yourself.
Jeff