permanent connection of propane grill to city gas?

Only a certain % of the tanks can not be refilled. When they need to replace the OPD valve they replace it with one that needs special tools in order to be filled.
So if you must use these bad guys get the newest tank or the oldest looking valve.
They also re-certify the older tanks so some of the smucks at Home Cheapo and Slows trade in a brand new tank for one that may be near the EOL 17 year period.
Be you can't tell what I think of their business plan. :)
Colbyt

Dont have to find em.. a 'professional" BBQ supplier shop here will take in your whole burner rig (you take it apart) and DRILL OUT the existing orf's to the proper size. This works Propane TO NG as the hole gets bigger.. Wont work NG to Propane.
Now If I'd known that they weren't REPLACING the orifices (but simply drilling them out) I could have done that myself..but admittedly I didnt know what size bit to use. Now, if anyone asks, I can slip a drill bit into my setup, find out the size and let them know.
Our place has a built-in NG 'quick release' hookup for the BBQ out on the deck out back. The gasline was plumbed when house was built. Later the gas guys came back and attached the Quick Release valve..no additional permit or inspection required here.

Dunno, but if they sell a conversion kit it isn't likely to be cheap. Our NG Weber ain't nothin' fancy and it was ~$1K.

I would assume so, since it is here. Our pool heater runs on NG as well, all piped from the house. -----
- gpsman

here in FL,it's cheapest to go to an ACE Hardware store to get a propane grill tank filled.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

While you may have to get a different valve in the grill, it should be fine.
I have an old Charmglow grill hooked up to city gas. When the development I am in was built some 40 years ago, the builder installed these grills outside every house. I have replaced every part of the grill over time except for the housing. It is possible that the grill valve is a special type and since I only replaced it once, I simply used whatever valve the manufacturer called for. We have a shutoff valve in the basement just for the line going to the grill but other than that, it is really a straight forward hookup. It's nice not to have to deal with propane tanks and such. The downside is that you can not move the grill if the wind so dictates.
Good Luck.

In South-East Michigan--
My outdoor grill powered by Nat. Gas, has a splitter at the outside gas meter (after the meter of course), a shut off valve and then some buried copper gas line to the back yard and then up into the support column for the grill. The maker of the Grill, sells two types of burners and flame control valves for the basic model of grill: One for Nat Gas, the other for propane.
Propane is hotter, and burns with out all the water in the fuel. Propane is much closer to the heat generated by hardwood charcoal. My grill's Nat Gas burner is, IMHO, a slower and cooler cooking grill than a equal sized propane burner. Slower, more control, and gets the job done but nix the charred burned outside and raw 'still got the Moo' inside.
BTW: the support column is encased in a deep concrete footing. The thin concrete stones I use for a backyard patio may shift with the freeze/ frost each winter, but that grill and that buried gas line ain't going nowhere, no how. Had to go below winter freeze line depth. May not be a problem where you live.
Different States, different laws. Many places where I live will just refill your tank and charge you going rate. None of this Tank exchange so many BORGS and hardware stores have. They, the Auto Gas Stations that offer Propane sales, have all the conversions and adapters. Only problem is you must pay the going rate for Propane. Ain't cheap no more. Just like Gas for car.
Back to your question: You just might have to buy a new grill for Nat Gas. Check Weber web site to see if they offer a Nat Gas conversion kit.
Phil

In short that new fitting was mandated some time ago. As I rememberr it was for safety reasons.
Chances are you can modify your grill to operate on natural gas. Usually it is a single inexpensive part required.
The new pipe may require a permit and likely will be subject to local codes. For that you will need to contact your local authorities. I strongly suggest that you follow the local codes and get the proper permits.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit