permanent connection of propane grill to city gas?

Connection to a natural gas supply via "a 12' flexible rubber hose" isn't a violation of the gas code where you live? Did you check??

Reply to
Doug Miller

It is a bad idea. Propane burns hotter than natural gas, so the orifices in the burners are different. The connectors are different too. You'll need a new grill to hook it up to gas. Or, -possibly- they sell conversion kits.

My Weber is nat. gas (was that way from the get-go, wheels and all) and hooked up via the supplied rubber hose to the gas pipe. I'm sure this is pretty common so there shouldn't be any code concerns there. Now, some cities ban the use of grills right next to the house.

Reply to
Bob M.

The age of the grill shouldn't matter. The only thing that is different is the jet orifice size and those are standard pipe thread in the US. Would its imagine the same in the UK. It's been a year or so since I hooked the last one up, but IIRC the flex hose just has standard flare connectors on both ends.

The only code concerns I recall is that a) you have to have a shutoff where the flex hose attaches to the house pipe, and b) that the grill not be located underneath any portion of the house overhang and that there was some minimum clearance between the grill and the house wall.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Regulator is different also. Propane usually has about 11" WC while NG is about 4"

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

NOT a bad idea, it just has to be done properly and it is done every day. Most every brand has kits available for the change.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Would you need a regulator separate from the one at the entrance to the house? Last one I did I went to a propane house supply so it didn't need a regulator as the whole house was already at the correct pressure. I would think that NG would be the same. The reason you have a regulator on the tank is because of the liquid to gas conversion in the tank.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Around here there are many natural gas BBQ's hooked up to the natural gas supply to the house and the hookups were done by the gas company.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread