Perfect safe homemade welding mask?

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/chinadiy050813/s_c08_RTR1ECDC.jpg

ds not by this site
A dopey bugger if this is genuine. You can get holes burnt in your retina without a proper mask. But then there was a box factory full of them in a previous link.

not by this site

harbor freight sells auto darkening ones so cheap why bother???

Chances are, this is in some third world country with no HF stores. OTOH, it may be from their R & D Department.

...by this site

Hah. You just reminded me. I once saw an Arab electric welding by just shutting his eyes. He could apparently see the work through his eyelids. Morroco I think.

Any plastic will greatly reduce uv exposure, but it's obviously got to be dark enough, but why chance it.
Greg

.not by this

Arc welders should be using a lens shade between 10 to 14. The sunglasses are probably a 3 shade. The shades don't block radiation the same across the spectrum (see chart). http://www.aoa.org/x5364.xml He's probably getting 1000x more radiation from far UV than he should and 20x more IR radiation than he should (comparing the transmittance of shades 3 vs 10) ALL the excess radiation (over what is recommended) is bad. Excessive IR alone can cause premature cataracts, etc.