Perfect safe homemade welding mask?

ds not by this site

A dopey bugger if this is genuine. You can get holes burnt in your retina without a proper mask. But then there was a box factory full of them in a previous link.

Reply to
harry

not by this site

harbor freight sells auto darkening ones so cheap why bother???

Reply to
bob haller

Chances are, this is in some third world country with no HF stores. OTOH, it may be from their R & D Department.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Any plastic will greatly reduce uv exposure, but it's obviously got to be dark enough, but why chance it.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Arc welders should be using a lens shade between 10 to 14. The sunglasses are probably a 3 shade. The shades don't block radiation the same across the spectrum (see chart).

He's probably getting 1000x more radiation from far UV than he should and 20x more IR radiation than he should (comparing the transmittance of shades 3 vs 10) ALL the excess radiation (over what is recommended) is bad. Excessive IR alone can cause premature cataracts, etc.

Reply to
Denis G.

...by this site

Hah. You just reminded me. I once saw an Arab electric welding by just shutting his eyes. He could apparently see the work through his eyelids. Morroco I think.

Reply to
harry