People's Court today, Friday, 12/18

Page 2 of 3
On 12/19/2015 09:22 PM, Micky wrote:

I get about six errors a minute. Unfortunately I also only type about six words per minute.
When I was in high school only the business kids took typing. Nobody ever thought engineers would have anything to do with a typewriter; that's what the secretaries are for. My brother was older enough that it worked in his career, but it didn't in mine.

I wasn't an engineer in high school. Or a business kid. I went to probably the richest public school in Indiana, I think 80% went to college, but they also taught typing. I think I took it in summer school.
I had watched my mother type my brother's papers in college -- he's 7 years older -- and maybe med school, and I didn't want to depend on someone else. But I agree that it surprised me when I typed for a living, as a computer programmer.
I make a lot of errors when I play the piano, too.

On 12/20/2015 04:30 AM, Micky wrote:

I did a seque into programming as the world changed but I started out in the machine tool industry. There was drafting involved, mostly schematics and panel layouts, but no typing. More likely you would find me with a screwdriver and a Simpson debugging a control circuit.
I found I enjoyed programming, which I did not in my college days when it was FORTRAN IV and System 360's. Still, by the last '80s I was starting to wonder if a man really should make a living in front of a glorified typewriter. I sort of retired/dropped out and spent the next ten years doing more physical work. Then I wandered back into the field. I've enjoyed it, which is why I'm still doing it.
Of all the programmers in my group I think there are a couple who can actually type by any accepted definition of typing.
On 12/20/2015 7:22 PM, rbowman wrote:

Do you think programming is a mans world job?
--
Maggie

On 12/21/2015 3:53 PM, Muggles wrote:

You're both pretty quick on that thread drift.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/21/2015 3:35 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Can you hummmm a few notes of that tune? I don't recognize it.
--
Maggie

In the 8 th grade about 1964 most everyone had to take a semester of typing. The room had a lot of typewriters and the keys did not have any leters or numbers on them so we had to learn to touch type. My mother had a typewriter just like them but had the leters on the keys. I used it some to type up papers.
It did help some when in college I had to take a semester of computer programing in PL/1 which was sort of like the BASIC programming. Just enough to learn what computer programming was about.
Move up to about 3 years before the computers came out (the old Radio Shack and Apples) I started playing around with some ham radio that used the Teletype machines. The typing started to come back to me. Then enter the computers and a slightly different keyboards . Letters are in the same place, but have to look for some of the symbles.
On 12/20/2015 08:07 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

There wasn't a typewriter in sight in my 8th grade in 1960. I can't remember when my parents bought a typewriter for me but it was an inexpensive, manual portable job and a joy to use.

My college programming courses were FORTRAN IV and the closest we got to a typewriter was a keypunch. The theory was you did your programming on a coding form and then went over to the computer center to punch it in. In the real (paying job) world it was expected you would give the form to a keypunch operator.

iirc, the early Apples were lacking a key that was sort of important to a C programmer so you had to fudge it with key mappings. I never had an Apple but I remember a friend whining about it.
The keys still migrate. I was at the library today and had to hunt around for Delete. Their keyboards are neither the standard full size with the numeric part nor the laptop condensed model.

semester of programming. It was just enough to learn what it was. Most of what we wrote was only about 30 to 50 lines.
We usually wrote the code by pencil and they went to the only model 33 Teletype. Punched it in and made a tape of it. Then used a dial on the 33 to call a computer somewhere off campus. Then started the paper tape and sent the program. Later in the day we had to call up the computer and it would print out the results.
On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 21:01:03 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

Hard to believe we all have our own now. Few of us do programming, but we could. (I don't count setting values for 4th generation "languages".)
Went to Cape Kennedy ~20 years ago and was told that the PC I had at home in 1995 was as powerful as what launched the Mercury astronauts.
What I have now must be more than enough to go to the moon and back.

A smart phone is more than the moon landing computers. I think they used some KIM 1 computers on the space craft. They had less memory than what it would take to boot up a smart phone now.
On 12/20/2015 08:21 PM, Micky wrote:

You haven't lived until you've programmed in FORTH...
On 12/20/2015 12:54 AM, rbowman wrote:

My top typing speed was around 78wpm with the average errors any normal typist would make. I hated manual typewriters because if you had to make copies you had to use that blue/black carbon paper between papers and type 2 to 3 copies at a time. If you made a mistake you had to correct it on multiple copies. When word processors and pc text applications (word) came out I was in heaven because an error only meant you had to backspace/delete/edit and keep going, which, got very easy to do and didn't lower typing speed all that much. The only thing that would slow me down was typing numbers because they are on the top row of the keyboard and I had short fingers, so I couldn't reach the numbers accurately with any sort of speed. Usually, I ended up slowing down enough to look at what I was typing and verify I hit the correct numbers.
When I started out typing I only got up to about 35wpm because manual typewriters were just difficult to press the keys, even the electric ones slowed me down. When chat rooms and internet typing came along my speed doubled!
--
Maggie

I find it totally ridiculous that the qwerty keyboard still exists! The dovorak layout is so much better and easier to use it is a quantum leap forward. And to change to a dovorak is an adventure in itself to find it on most operating systems. Another pet peeve of mine is the use of the term 'centrifugal force' as it simply does not exist no matter how you view it. The correct term would be 'centrifugal reaction' to an applied force field. Gonna sit down now...
On 12/21/2015 2:24 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

If I tried it years ago I may have converted. After 55 years of typing I'm not so interested in change. My guess is too many die hards not willing to learn and teach it.
Long term it may be the best, but short term it could be a nightmare doing the changeover in a company with hundreds of keyboards.

When computers came along, my error rate doubled.
On 12/21/2015 4:27 PM, Micky wrote:

The older I get the higher my error rate gets.
--
Maggie

On 12/21/2015 4:27 PM, Micky wrote:

[snip]
t the correct numbers.

Anyone can make a mistake. To really foul things up requires a computer<g>
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:20:45 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

When I worked on mainframes, one time I printed a new page for every line.
It was hard to save paper after that first year, when I realized I could waste more paper in one day than I could save in my lifetime.
On 12/21/2015 09:30 PM, Micky wrote:

You haven't lived until you've fed a PostScript document to a non-PostScript printer. PostScript is actually a reverse Polish programming language so what you wind up with is a program listing with bits and pieces of the actual text embedded in it.
Don Lancaster pushed PostScript about as far as it could go. iirc he was using it to drive an x/y table.