Pentium IV computers have "internal" USB port?

Would an old Dell Pentium IV and an old IBM Pentium IV have an "internal" USB port on their motherboards?

I've been looking for a way to add PS/2 ports to a computer that doesn't have them so that I can continue using my PS/2 KVM switch. Most of the computers I'm seeing nowadays don't have PS/2 ports for keyboard and mouse. So, if I buy a computer that doesn't have PS/2 ports, I can't use it with my KVM switch.

I did find several companies that made PS/2 port cards. The problem was that all of these cards were PCI cards, and nowadays PCI slots on motherboards are becoming rare as well. All new computers have PCIe slots on their motherboards, and you can't use a PCI card in a PCIe slot.

However, this product:

'SYBAUSA - SD-PCI-UPS2 >> USB to PS/2 Adapter (Bracket version)'

is neither PCI nor PCIe and will fit in any available motherboard slot.

It, presumably, just needs to be plugged in with a USB cable to an "internal" USB port on the motherboard, or so it appears.

If I don't have an "internal" USB port on my motherboards, can I take out another slot cover and run the USB cable through the opening out of the case to one of the external USB ports?

Reply to
nestork

Buy a USB KVM. It helps to have several KVM's when working on different machines. Some have audio, some have different video connections.

Reply to
G. Morgan

If you have model numbers, you should be able to look it up. I've seen it both ways.

A usb port is a usb port. Just need the right cables. I've used one like the self-contained external one shown at the bottom of the page of your link. It works mostly, often, usually.

Directly connected PS/2 keyboards with built-in touchpads work flawlessly, but have random failure to connect at boot or random disconnects when used with the adapter to USB.

I'm not sure I can blame the adapter dongle, because native USB keyboards with built-in touchpads seem to have the same problem.

I've got multiple keyboards and they all behave similarly in this regard. Independent keyboard/mouse work fine with the adapter.

I've not used a USB KVM switch, but have had issues with PS/2 switches. Problem is that the switch has to emulate the disconnected devices. So, if you boot a computer with the keyboard switched to the other one, you get whatever the KVM emulates. If your mouse or pointing device has more features, they may not be enabled or cause problems because of the wrong driver.

No idea what happens when you try to connect a KVM switch on the other end of a ps/2-USB adapter.

Long ago, I dumped all my KVM switches and went to a software solution called synergy. You just move the mouse past the end of the screen and it shows up on the other computer's display and the keyboard goes with it.

This can be a great advantage if you have enhanced pointing device functions that aren't supported under linux. The windows driver manages the mouse interface and sends linux on the other machine what it needs to to the function over the network. Just be sure you're using the same version of synergy on both machines. I don't know how many machines you can have, I've never done more than three at a time.

Another good use for it is wirelessly networked media computer across the room can be controlled from your local keyboard/mouse. The disadvantage is that

Reply to
mike

I'm curious why you keep asking here instead a computer group. There are one or two computer hardware groups which are still running.

I think you mean it doesn't use a slot.

If it can work plugged into an internal USB port, it will also work with an external USB port. Just cut a little hole somewhere and wrap the sharp edge with tape or something and there you go.

They also sell USB cards. I have one, with USB2, on a computer that came originally only with USB1, and it had 4, or maybe 2, USB ports coming out of the bracket, and one more USB port on the card, iow internal. I don't remember what kind of slot it fit in, but I guess it wasn't the very newest kind, since this was designed a) for people who needed more USB ports (but didn't want to use a powered whatchamacallit) or b) for people like me who only had USB 1.1.

Yes.

And you're right. You can omit the cover entirely. Heck I've been running for years with no case cover on, and except for maybe air flow and cooling there's been no problem. No outside radiation causing a problem.

BTW. how much does it cost? If it's cheap enough, I would want one.

Even though it doesn't list Win7 or 8, it still might work for them. That's true in general but here the only interface is the USB port, which I assume is pretty similar in win7 and 8. (not that I have any plans to use either.) But someone on the hardware group is likely to know more about this.

Reply to
micky

Yes, where the USB port is physically located doesn't change the functionality.

Reply to
trader4

Yep.

Absolutely correct.

Reply to
philo

I use this kind of adapter for the exact same purpose.

Lab Lover

I still use old P4 desktops with linux. Since I also have no USB kybrd or mouse, I bought this to hook up my PS/2 input devices to my new rasberry pi's USB port. Works flawlessly.

nb

Reply to
notbob

$3.30 with free shipping...sheesh, way to go!

Reply to
philo

Yep. Beats mine.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Bob_Villa

Migrate those old system images into a virtual machine using Oracle VirtualBox and run them on your laptop .

Reply to
Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBil

Just buy a Startech usb2ps2 adapter from Startech - they are under $15 and allow you to connect PS2 kbd and mouse to a single USB port.

Reply to
clare

Metspitzer

Thanks for trying to help guys, but I contacted the manufacturer of my KVM switch (IOGear) and they said that simply using a USB to PS/2 adapter wouldn't work. They said I'd have to provide PS/2 ports for keyboard and mouse on the new computer somehow.

I think the Synergy software solution might be fine for some, but I have two computers; a business computer and an internet surfing computer. I'm concerned that without the two computers being physically separated, any virus or malicious software I get onto the surfing computer could infect my business computer as well. This is an important issue with me that I'm not willing to compromise on.

What groups are there on usenet that are dedicated to computer hardware issues?

Reply to
nestork

Hi, Then just have two separate computer. Pentium IV pretty well belongs to recycle bin. Motherboard running P4 cpu is pretty well obsolete.(for an example look at max. memory size it can support) Many new things(hardware/software) won't run on it. I always keep up-to-date my book keeping box, the cost is claimed as business expense on year end tax return.(you mentioned business) Rest of desk tops, lap tops in the house, all have Linux(Mint or Ubuntu), W7 Ultimate or W8 Pro dual boot. Sooner or later, time will come you get stuck with what you are running. Impossible to upgrade, can't run apps. with new stuffs,etc. At least one computer should be kept up-to-date with good back up. In the long run, when you look back you will have wasted more money and time trying to hang on to what you have now.

We run small retail business since we retired as a source of supplemental income(our pocket money). We think you spend money to make money in business. Again sounds like you are in some sort of business too.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The adapters work with all my KVM switches including the one IOGear that I own. $3, what's to lose?

Reply to
Lab Lover

I agree. I think the $3 gamble is worth it.

I have very rarely found anyone at "tech support" to know what they are talking about.

I guess because I was bored I contact a mfg's tech support and asked them the same question about six or eight times.

I got (at random it seemed) one of a total of three different answers.

Reply to
philo

I couldn't agree with you more. My rule of thumb is: Tech support isn't.

Reply to
Lab Lover

If you talk to someone in person they just read from a sheet.

From the experience I had by email, I think the replies were just auto-generated.

Once in a while there are exceptions I am told.

Reply to
philo