Penny floor

http://tinyurl.com/an2wnu3
A couple glued about $600 worth of pennies to a bedroom floor.

Cheapskates. They should have papered the walls with $100 dollar bills.
When I was a kid we used to glue a sixpence to the pavement and watch folks trying to pick it up.
On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 01:29:51 -0800 (PST), harry

If you did that with my mother-in-law, she'd be back with hammer and chisel.
Did that at a factory, where I used to work. Day shift would glue a quarter to the floor, and the night shift had to figure out how to pull it up.

If you did that with my mother-in-law, she'd be back with hammer and chisel.
On 2/19/13 3:29 AM, harry wrote:

Now that was sneaky. (and probably good fun)
On 2/19/2013 3:29 AM, harry wrote:

Some joker in Holland glued an iPhone to a sidewalk and made videos. ^_^
TDD
Destroying currency is a crime, last I knew.
Got to be cold, on your feet, at night. and a lot of weight on the structure. Won't happen at my house.
http://tinyurl.com/an2wnu3
A couple glued about $600 worth of pennies to a bedroom floor.
On 2/19/2013 8:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There is talk of the penny going away since it costs The Treasury Department two cents to make each one. Those pennies could become collectors items down the road and some enterprising thief could burn the house to get at them. O_o
TDD
I can't remember when they changed from zinc to copper, but people have been known to melt down the old copper pennies.
There is talk of the penny going away since it costs The Treasury Department two cents to make each one. Those pennies could become collectors items down the road and some enterprising thief could burn the house to get at them. O_o
TDD
On Feb 19, 8:53 am, "Stormin Mormon"

ews:kg03dk$tf6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Didn't Canada just say they were stopping minting new pennies???
On Feb 19, 2:53 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

ews:kg03dk$tf6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Our "copper" coins now have a steel core. Just a thin layer of copper on the outside. You can pick them up with a magnet.
On Feb 19, 9:53 am, "Stormin Mormon"

ews:kg03dk$tf6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

re: "I can't remember when they changed from zinc to copper"
Maybe you don't remember because that never happened. However, in 1983 they switched from copper to zinc.
Unless of course you count that single year (1943) when pennies were zinc-coated steel and switched back to brass (95% copper, 5% zinc) in 1944
A History of Compositon can be found here:
http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/fun_facts/?action=fun_facts2
On Feb 19, 9:50 am, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

What would the plan be? Burn the house down, let the pennies cool and then go back to the scene of the arson to collect them from the charred remains of the structure?
That enterprising thief had better hope that most of the pennies are pre-1983. Any decent house fire will probably melt the post-82 mostly zinc pennies.
On 2/19/2013 1:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You might or not be amazed at what the critters will do to steal anything they think might be worth something. Around here, they will burn down a house and slink back later in an attempt to salvage metals. I remember a house in another neighborhood that had aluminum siding. Every time I drove by, there was more siding missing from the house until the house was completely trashed then demolished. The metal termites have even stolen the aluminum tubing from some of the overpass guard rails. It looks to be 3" tubing in 20 foot long sections. O_o
TDD

They tore up the underground wiring providing power to the lights along the running path (Pre's Trail) here a number of years ago, which ended up costing the city better than $10,000 to have new wiring installed.
This time, however, they poured concrete over the access boxes; that was a year and a half ago, and the wiring is still safe.
Jon
On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:23:09 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Odds are someone in the Federal Govt. will get wind of this and prosecute. Just like that guy who bragged about making all his furnishings out of FedEx boxes getting sued by FedEx.

$600 in pennies is 60,000 pennies.
Assuming late-model pennies, it takes 181 pennies to make a pound.
60,000 / 181 = 331.5lbs
If a fat guy walking across the floor doesn't cause it to collapse, 331.5 pounds of pennies spread out across the whole floor won't be a problem.
People put much items much heavier than 331.5 pounds on residential floors, on much smaller footprints,.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

Nope, gluing pennies to the floor isn't "destroying" them. Not even close. More like preserving them.
I watched the video.
Surprised the last step was grouting. I knew someone that did something similar with beer bottle caps but the last step was to pour epoxy over the whole thing.
--
Dan Espen

On Feb 19, 9:23 am, "Stormin Mormon"

re: Got to be cold, on your feet, at night
Maybe they put in radiant heating.
Weight is not really a problem for $600 worth of pennies. About 330 lbs.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)