Penny floor

A couple glued about $600 worth of pennies to a bedroom floor.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Cheapskates. They should have papered the walls with $100 dollar bills.

When I was a kid we used to glue a sixpence to the pavement and watch folks trying to pick it up.

Reply to
harry

If you did that with my mother-in-law, she'd be back with hammer and chisel.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Now that was sneaky. (and probably good fun)

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Some joker in Holland glued an iPhone to a sidewalk and made videos. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Destroying currency is a crime, last I knew.

Got to be cold, on your feet, at night. and a lot of weight on the structure. Won't happen at my house.

.

A couple glued about $600 worth of pennies to a bedroom floor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did that at a factory, where I used to work. Day shift would glue a quarter to the floor, and the night shift had to figure out how to pull it up.

.

If you did that with my mother-in-law, she'd be back with hammer and chisel.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There is talk of the penny going away since it costs The Treasury Department two cents to make each one. Those pennies could become collectors items down the road and some enterprising thief could burn the house to get at them. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I can't remember when they changed from zinc to copper, but people have been known to melt down the old copper pennies.

.

There is talk of the penny going away since it costs The Treasury Department two cents to make each one. Those pennies could become collectors items down the road and some enterprising thief could burn the house to get at them. O_o

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ews:kg03dk$tf6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Didn't Canada just say they were stopping minting new pennies???

Reply to
hrhofmann

ews:kg03dk$tf6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Our "copper" coins now have a steel core. Just a thin layer of copper on the outside. You can pick them up with a magnet.

Reply to
harry

Odds are someone in the Federal Govt. will get wind of this and prosecute. Just like that guy who bragged about making all his furnishings out of FedEx boxes getting sued by FedEx.

$600 in pennies is 60,000 pennies.

Assuming late-model pennies, it takes 181 pennies to make a pound.

60,000 / 181 = 331.5lbs

If a fat guy walking across the floor doesn't cause it to collapse, 331.5 pounds of pennies spread out across the whole floor won't be a problem.

People put much items much heavier than 331.5 pounds on residential floors, on much smaller footprints,.

Reply to
dennisgauge

What would the plan be? Burn the house down, let the pennies cool and then go back to the scene of the arson to collect them from the charred remains of the structure?

That enterprising thief had better hope that most of the pennies are pre-1983. Any decent house fire will probably melt the post-82 mostly zinc pennies.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nope, gluing pennies to the floor isn't "destroying" them. Not even close. More like preserving them.

I watched the video.

Surprised the last step was grouting. I knew someone that did something similar with beer bottle caps but the last step was to pour epoxy over the whole thing.

Reply to
Dan Espen

ews:kg03dk$tf6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

re: "I can't remember when they changed from zinc to copper"

Maybe you don't remember because that never happened. However, in 1983 they switched from copper to zinc.

Unless of course you count that single year (1943) when pennies were zinc-coated steel and switched back to brass (95% copper, 5% zinc) in

1944

A History of Compositon can be found here:

DerbyDad03

re: Got to be cold, on your feet, at night

Maybe they put in radiant heating.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You might or not be amazed at what the critters will do to steal anything they think might be worth something. Around here, they will burn down a house and slink back later in an attempt to salvage metals. I remember a house in another neighborhood that had aluminum siding. Every time I drove by, there was more siding missing from the house until the house was completely trashed then demolished. The metal termites have even stolen the aluminum tubing from some of the overpass guard rails. It looks to be 3" tubing in 20 foot long sections. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Weight is not really a problem for $600 worth of pennies. About 330 lbs.

Reply to
Larry W

They tore up the underground wiring providing power to the lights along the running path (Pre's Trail) here a number of years ago, which ended up costing the city better than $10,000 to have new wiring installed.

This time, however, they poured concrete over the access boxes; that was a year and a half ago, and the wiring is still safe.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken