Pennies in the Fuse Box

Page 1 of 2
How come this ain't working!
I put a penny behind a blown fuse but it still doesn't work
meanwhile, I bought some more 15 amp fuses, they are working fine
thing is.. I know this fuse socket! I know what is on it... I know a 20 amp fuse will hold it for years.. I just know this...
yesterday I added an AC to my house... it blew my last 20 amp fuse
I got the new AC settled on a seperate fuse.. that part is done
meanwhile back to my old 20 amp fuse line... it keeps popping my 15 amp fuses...
can't I just put a penny behind the old 20 amp fuse
i mean, I know what is on that fuse...
should I up my insurance before I do this?
--
my fuse box look like this

two pull out breakers.. each has two tube fuses in the pullout
I think the calculated load is to great for a penny. Maybe you need to try a nickel?

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:47:26 -0400, "RBM" <rbm2(remove

Try an Aluminum penny. Add a couple of pieces of conductive rice if necessary.

yeeha wrote:

I'd head for your doctor fast.
From your descriptions and questions it sounds to me like your entire alimentary tract has somehow gotten reversed.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

<sniffing my middle finger...>
no! .. it's not shit
this new pack of 15a fuses are holding up good so far it's the new style with a time delay.. vs the old glass ones i burnt up last night
<sniifing my first two fingers>
Don't screw anything in the plug fuse sockets but proper sized fuses. The two pullouts probably have something written on them like: Range and Main, the one that says "main" when pulled should kill power to all four plug fuses below

RBM (remove this) wrote:

the two pullouts don't have any writing, but im sure you're right
this gives me confidence to pull the two pullouts... then remove the remaining threads from the broken fuse...
me and electricity don't get along
I've had 440 go through me one time...
it shuddered my whole body for about what felt like.. 4-6 seconds... my whole life flashed before my eyes...
my ring burnt my finger during that surge, my necklace burnt my neck... that sort of heat...
but since that day.. I stopped hearing voices
<G>
yeeha wrote:

BEFORE you go messing with the broken fuse, connect a wire to a good ground like the shell of the main panel, pull the main and then MAKE certain its dead, preferably with a meter but if not put the grounded wire to the center of the fuse and look for sparks.
I had a fuse box that pulling main did NOT kill all the fuses:(
ended up pulling the meter to get the broken fuse out.
some will certinally say shorting to the fuse is wrong, but this PROVES it dead and is way better than getting shocked!
right now I have a meter that isnt working all the time:( with such a meter checking for power at the fuse could lead to a deadly wrong conclusion.
I have gotten wrapped so much over the years I dont usually get upset, but do TRY to avoid it!
One fine day I leaned on a steam radiator to pull a plug on a radio, So I could plug in the jammed copier.... I was there to fix it....
Next thing I knew I was on the floor across the room:(
Idiot customer noticed radio power plug was bad and wrapped masking tape around wires:(
By the time I touched it and couldnt see it buried behind stuff, the masking tape had dried out and mostly fallen off.
I took the radio masking tape and all to the principal and reported what happened and pointed out a student could of been killed! Then cut the power plug off the radio so no one else got hit.... while the principal watched...
Across my heat with that good ground it was a close thing.
I avoid touching any grounded things whenever possible.......
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

nice little story
I have the uncanny ability to find danger before it finds me
I can't tell how many times I have found simliar things like you tell about
one time I was working on a large older home, doing a small renovation
something told me to goto the basement... i went down the narrow stairs.. down down down...
I just sort of followed my intuition...
I just walked right up to a fuse box.. and I could hear it humming I knew this was not right
WHILE I HAD JUST WALKED UP AND WAS STANDING THERE A BLUE FLAME SHOT OUT of THE SIDE OF THE BOX
i opened the door to the panel... killed the main...
I could see where a breaker was melting down.. it was oozing when i cut it off
was that a co-inky dink?
I don't think so. I think some people have a 7th sense..
danger rangers!
lol
yeeha wrote:

Because it is the weekend and you are out of school again.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:55:58 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

He's a "pyro", building a weapon of mass destruction.
Oren

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
If you are stupid enough to use a penny instead of replacing the fuse....you are an idiot or a troll.
Fuses have a purpose...they are designed to blow before the wiring melts.
Bypass the fuse, you'll get melted wiring & a fire. It's that simple.

<snip>
LJ wrote:

It a school age troll. Not even a very good one.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
LJ wrote:

pfft! you're the same one with the jerri rigged fence?
roflmao
pfft! There's a big difference between a jerri-rigged eyesore and a jerri-rigged fire hazard.

LJ wrote:

and for the record?
YES if that was all I had and wanted to say.. make me an espresso?
YES a penny it is..
how the bleep would I melt a wire running an espresso maker on a fused penny rig?
exactly how many amps does it take to make hot water
all I wanted was coffee and email
I PLUGGED THE FUSE IN WITH THE PENNY STUCK TO IT I used lithium thermal grease to make it stick long enough to screw it in. lmao
BUT THE DAng THANG DIDN'T WORK NO WAY
so I re-arranged my panel today...
now my ac and pc is on a 40 amp fuse!
BURN BABY BURN!
THE ROOF THE ROOF THE ROOF IS ON FIRE
I can't figure why it did not work I should have been able to make it work
what it it was zero degree weather out, and the roads were covered in ice suppose that fuse ran my only heater...
people need to learn how things work, so they can make things work when things dont work like their supposed to
what would mcguyver do?
yeeha wrote:

<snip>
How? You are so smart you should be able to figure that out. It is simple. It is not the load you think you are pulling that is blowing the fuse. You have a short that is pulling way more than your espresso machine somewhere in that circuit or the machine itself is shorted. Not to worry tho, the penny should fix it, after all when the house burns down, re-wiring is simple.
Harry K
Bah Humbig. Get fusebox replaced with breakers.
Harry K wrote:

Here is what is on one fuse
I need to make myself a map, I think I can distribute the load better
1 a/c (110) 2 large crt monitors 2 lamps @ 60 watt one large console tv one stereo that pushes 300 watts of sound a vcr a toner copier (sometimes) chordless phone one 500 watt power supply for the computer
i think that's it.
however, when i put a new ac in the back bedroom... I took a chance with the nearest plug...(not wanting to run an extension chord to make use of it see)
I didn't think 20 amps would hold 2 ac's, but I wasn't sure if that socket was on the same fuse.. just trial and error... but it was the same fuse..
I got my old setup above resolved with a 45 amp fuse... but Im not fearful..
1. 20 amps carried these things for some time with no problem 2. I am still under 20 amps (even though the fuse is 45amps)
I still got room to grow on that fuse.. just plug stuff in till it busts then you know it's capacity
but that's just my logic, I could be wrong
but for the new ac... I just ran a 100' med duty extension chord. to the next socket 15 feet away
OH HECK NO! the chord got hot inside of 5 mins... suuuuu-mo-kin I knew that would happen, but wanted to tax the fuse box before I went to lowes.
short story...
I cut 85' off of the med duty extension chord, works fine with no heat