Pella vs Andersen Windows and installation

Page 2 of 2
Only because I think these are the two best brands out there. I would not consider going with Home Depot/Lowe's windows - whatever brand they carry.
Walter

Home Depot carries a low level Andersen and Lowes has a low line of Pella.
I have vinyl clad andersen. ONe problem is that if a sill gets damaged it is a bitch to replace. I know from experience. Pella is supposed to be better designed for component replacemnet. I have mostly Andersen vinyl clad wood windows and putting in Pella sliding doors and entrance doors. Pella seems better designed to me. I like their new vanishing screens.

"Walter Cohen" wrote

If it's wood you want, and you're really looking for quality. My decision would be between Marvin & Hurd. Now if you're not opposed to vinyl, there are some really good vinyl products out there by other manufacturers. I agree, I wouldn't even think shopping HD/Lowes.
Well, my patio doors are standard glass doors - 72" wide and 80" tall (not wood frame). If I could I would just buy the standard-size Andersen at HD and put it in myslef with th ehelp of a buddy.
But I figured as I need the front bay replaced 10' wide x 5' high (again - not wood), which also has a vertical crank casement window on either side, I'd look to have one place do both for me.
Walter

"Walter Cohen" wrote

If you never installed a door, best to help someone that has and knows the correct way, not just someone that threw a door in and think they got a bargain over the professional price. Besides plumb/level/square, the flashing work is most important. You do not want a bunch of caulk replacing flashing, caulk is a very poor substitute for flashing (head/sides/sill). You must also caulk under sill and insulate the cavities at both side jambs and at head jamb.
A couple years ago I put in a 10 ft wide x 53" high vinyl bay, had double hung both sides, 21" projection, oak seat board and head board along with factory insulated seat. Had lowE and argon filled. My cost (contractor) was a tad over 3k not including further incidentals such as coil stock, interior trim, further insulation, misc vertical vinyl, lumber, J channels, etc. This was for material only, no roof needed for it went out under a 24" soffit. This was for a really good virgin vinyl window (Polaris). Keep in mind, you do not have to stay with the same projection as you have now. Also, you can change the end windows to whatever suits your fancy, you do not have to stay with casements (casements are more expensive than double hung)
I also put in a 10'x8' Marvin Bow with just awning windows in the end panels. Projection of 16", my cost just for the window was slightly under 10k.
When all said and done, the vinyl looked as good as the Marvin, _but_ the Marvin definately is a better window.
Happy window shopping.
I made reference to the cost of the vinyl bay. Cost of Marvin bay at the time for a 10'x53" bay was almost 5k compared to the 3k. Also, both windows the head & seat board were not solid oak, but oak veneer 3/4" ply, which you had to edge band either with the iron on edging, or glue and brad tack oak you cut on a table saw.
The Polaris vinyl bays and bows do put 5/8" threaded rods in the corners where picture meets operational windows, which is there for strength plus you can bolt to rafters on overhangs. Also, the Polaris vinyl frames were foam filled for additional insulating.
Hey Ned, thanks for all your input.
Walter

So you are too good for Home Depot and Lowes?
What a elitist snob.

"PJx" wrote in message

Their quality is non-existant. If you want garbage, keep buying there. Each their own.

Hey I was just pulling your chain. I'm ok, you're ok, but still, most of what they sell is the exact same as what you get in the high priced stores. Many seem to believe that mfgs have special warehouses to ship their Home depot junk too. Not true.
Pj
Pella at box stoes is the same quality but their tri pane is only avalaible through dealers.
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:33:50 -0500, someone wrote:

big box stores. Now, to what degree these items differ from the 'full price' versions is a matter of debate and variation. It could have the exact same significant characteristics and just be eye wash so they can assure their other wholesale customers they don't sell the same product to HD. OR it could be quite different.
Clothing mfgs do the same thing with Walmart vs. say Macy's and the like.
-v.
Pella entry doors are identical in quality at LOwes as at a Pella store but a thousand dollars cheaper. Unfortuantly the windows and sliding doors at LOwes are only the cheaper versions but they should still be good.

Pella has very clear instruction on installation. Too bad even their certified installers are unlikely to follow them carefully in my experience.