Pella vs Andersen Windows and installation

Page 1 of 2
I need to have both my sliding glass patio doors as well as my front living room bay window replaced. My two options are Andersen or Pella. Andersen I believe is good enough and of sufficient quality that it meets my expectations/criteria.
I know Pella is kinda a one-stop dealer providing installation as well. I was wondering if Pella, including installation, would be more expensive than purchasing Andersen and having a contractor (or window installer) install them. I am thinking the answer would be - yes. Especially for the bay window I am thinking there would be a fair amount of carpentry required. The patio doors are pretty standard.
Thoughts on this?
Thanks. Walter
i must vote AGAINST a pella sliding door. mine have the screen on the inside slide track and they CANNOT be hosed down! ;)
--
rosie
http://www.rockthevote.com/rtv_register.php

Sure thy can. Takes but a minute to take it out and give it a hose job. If you are really daring, it can be done from inside but my wife won't let me. Ed
Hi Ed,
This is Abe (we exchanged some omni-filters and food prep items).
Your comment reminds me of an old Tim Allen bit where he talks about using a leaf blower to dust the inside of the house. Hilarious - I'd love to try it. -------------------------------------

My thoughts are that I have a house full of relatively new Pella wooden windows, and unless you live in a completely dry climate, I *would not* buy wooden windows again. Pella was supposed to release a vinyl window, and I'd consider it, but I've had about 10 Pella windows/doors replaced in 10 years due to rot problems (despite any number of professional painters calking and painting to beat the band).
(Oh, and I have the aluminum clad variety, which I was told would make me a worry-free home owner :( ).
Chip

I have the Pella vinyl clad Designer series. The oldest windows are 13 years old, including a patio door. There has been no rotting. There has been some fading of the brown vinyl color. The one problem I do have is that two of the windows are hitting the sill on the bottom edge furtherest from the hinges. My feeling is that this is a design flaw. I will probably need to remove the window and place a washer under the pivot point We have brand new Pellas and the hingle design is different. These are fairly large casement windows - a little under 7 ' high. As for the original poste's question, I can't help. We bought custom replacement windows directly from the Pella store, and had the Pella installer put them in. The installers were different for each job, but both did an excellent job. The Pella sales rep came out several times during the installation to check on the job and make sure the installers had all the parts they needed. I doubt thus was the cheapest route, but the cost was about what I expected.
On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 15:16:04 -0400, "Chip Orange"

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+ http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn /
Anderson have better glass and condense at a higher humidity, CDF. I have both and the Andersons never condense Pellas do. A factory installer guarntees your windows will be in Warranty for the warranty life. I had a Hack instal mine out of square and level, 1/8 is all the fatory allows any more and No warranty... That is how many claims are dismissed. Luckily I caught 4 mistakes and made the Hack redo it . It wasn`t worth it.
Consumer reports has a good article and rates and explains CDF , SHG , VLT, R & total U value and alot more . Glass is not made equal. Andersons machine for coating is a 30,000,000$ machine that gives great clear glass. My instaler, I sued and won and he has no money, I still have problems to fix. Instalation is key, factory is best, research from consumer reports.
Marvin is another top line. Pella sliding doors I dont like because the screen is on the inside, so after leaving your door open all night where do you think the bugs will go when you have to open the screen to close the door , Hint , inside with you. I think its a stupid design. Pella does have the triple track option I dont think Anderson has , but the screen design made me say no. to Pella. My wood pella windows I wipe down every dam day in winter , ice forms and now mold is setting in the seam. Im not happy with Pella at all on this, they are 2 yrs old. And I dont use a humidifier in winter. With winows you get what you pay for. Pellas were a " best Buy " at consumer reports but I paid no attention to the CDF rating.
Dear M. Ransley,
We are writing in response to the email dated July 5, 2004 that you have posted on Google Groups. We certainly appreciate you selecting Pella products for your home, and are very sorry to learn that you are having difficulties with them.
We would very much like to assist with the issues you are facing with your products. To do this we need to know what products you have and where you purchased them. We would also appreciate your personal information, such as name, address, and phone number, so that we may follow up on your concerns. You can email this information to snipped-for-privacy@pella.com.
Thank you for giving us this opportunity to serve you. We look forward to resolving any problems that may be diminishing your satisfaction in our products. Sincerely,
Rhonda Pella Corporation Customer Support
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote in message

Don't let this nice post from Pella fool you into thinking they offer great service. I've emailed them twice with a description of my problem (with 1 of the 26 Pellas I had built into my new house in 1997) and they never replied. I couldn't even get the local Pella store people out to look at the window.
As for Pella vs Andersen, I had narrowed my choices down to those two and one other, and I wish I'd gone with the Andersen. Not just the lack of service, but because the aluminum clad Pellas tend to show scratches and I think the vinyl clad Andersens would age better. In my area the Andersen windows are slightly more expensive but probably worth it.
snipped-for-privacy@pella.com (webinfo) wrote in message

After a few mails and no response I got pissed at them , they responded but only asking for more info and no further response or help. Bunch of Bull Shit wouldnt you say.
Buy Anderson , on my complaint on a door seal not " Looking " right they sent me Free a whole door kit of weatherstripping Free. Must be a 150$ worth of everything.
Pella , no service after all this time and 4 emails.
I'm starting to get a taste of this "poor service". I just had 7 Pellas installed to complete the replacement of all my windows (all pellas). After the installation, a few concerns were noted on the inspection report. I was told, and it's written on the form, that I would be contacted within 48 hours to discuss the concerns. Guess what? No contact made and it's been over a week since the job was done.

Did you pay Ed
On 23 Jul 2004 06:25:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net (Mark Slone) wrote:

When/if I ever need to put new windows in, I'll be going with Marvin.
Yes, Pella never replied to my problem email either.

Still no response from pella
I didn't know they made vinyl clad, but I'm assuming it's a wooden sash underneath. This is what has rotted on sooooo many of my Pella Windows (here in Florida).
When I complained (again) during the most recent sash replacements, the salesman told me they were coming out with a solid vinyl window soon for this very problem.
Chip

"Walter Cohen" wrote

Why do you feel these are your two options?
Whoever you hire use a good 5 ft level and verify Plumb, Level, and Square, before you pay.

we're having 27 windows done so I could use some advice as to how to verify Plumb, Level and Square. Any other tips would be great.
Harry, get new level just smaller than the inside frame diameter so it fits in the actual window and practice. To measure Square 2 people and string are used for a slider its diagonal both ways. Or a carpenters old fashioned folding wood measuring stick with the brass extender. Again it takes practice , being exact is necessary, so learn If you find a mistake be sure you are right the contractor will be pissed off on a redo. Dont complain till you are Well Passed your deposit point or guys Walk over Redos. Be sure he has more to loose than you. Be sure sealant is proper and in the right place and of proper type. Be sure you dont have tight frames that wont allow for specified expansion. Plumb on an old tilting house may or may not break a warranty, Ck your house , call the window Co. Get it in writing or make them plumb. 1/8" is the max allowed by Pella and Anderson, Your window Co may be different 1/16" for ex. Get it in writing or you may find you have No Warranty from day 1 . Read your instructions. There is more but Im no window pro I learned the hard way . So did my hack instaler. Who I found out later Has 8 judgements on him [ Im # 8 ] No drivers lisence and 3 warrants out on him in 2 states and the wifey has a Mercedes and I cant collect. And regurarly takes deposits and Leaves. Ck court records. If warranty states 1/8" and he is at 1/8" dont accept it . In 10 yrs your house may shift out. Put in contract Installer to follow instalation instructions. They say Plump..Level..and Square.. thats Exact and what it should be.