peepholes

I'm fairly certain that there are peepholes in my two bathrooms in the walls shared with a neighbor's bathrooms.

One peephole is behind a mirror. I've heard about this problem in motel rooms but don't know exactly what's involved. Is it just a hole in the wall behind the mirror, and the silver on the back of the mirror is scratched off, or is there something else involved? Is there a way to locate the peephole without removing the mirror? I want to subtly find the hole and try to document if it's used.

The other hole is somewhere in a wall that's made of something the thickness of heavy cardboard on my side but finished to look like drywall. Any ideas on what this material is and how to find peepholes in this material? I tried turning off the light, hoping that the light was on on the other side so that I could see the hole, but I think that they block the hole when not in use and turn off their light and close their door when using the peephole.

My thinking is to collect some evidence, then get the police to inspect the neighbor's place. Any comments that don't involve violence?

Thanks

Reply to
xyz

trolling or crazy. you decide.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Sure it's not a Glory Hole??? Maybe the previous neighbors were "friendly".....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Try putting on a "show" for the neighbors. If you hear moans and screams, you know your good. If you only hear heavy breathing, you need to work on your style. Hope you don't hear "boo's".

Seriously.......doh!

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

Watch out they probably cut through the wall and steal your electricity by wiring into your socket. You may have listening- video devices in your walls , phone, and they may access your computer through the modem. They probably read your mail and reseal it, time to move to a different country.

Reply to
m Ransley

Lucky you. My neighbor's house is 200 feet away. I really have to look hard to see anything. Do you think I should get a camera?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In our case it would result in hysterical laughter. For a few bucks at the local video store they can get a much more interesting show with and the actors will be much better equiped.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

There was a case 20 years ago. The medicine cabinets were behind each other and the guy in one unit would remove his and tilt the one he wanted to peep thru.

Reply to
Art

Have you considered installing a sound-activated switch? When you think the peephole is in use, just clap your hands so YOUR lights go out suddenly. I suggest that you close your eyes for a few seconds before doing this so your pupils will be dark-adapted. Scan the suspected areas for signs of light; also listen for any commotion on the other side of the wall as they try to get the thing closed.

For the hardboard area, I don't quite understand why you can't see the peephole -- how do you think it might be concealed?

xyz ( snipped-for-privacy@abc.net) writes:

-- "For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires."

-- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_

James Owens, Ottawa, Canada

Reply to
James Owens

If you scratch off the refective backing of a mirror, the mirror shouldn't work very well -- only the glass is reflecting. At the very least there should be a discolouration. Try it yourself with an old bit of mirror held against a wall. Maybe with a bright flashlight you can detect a difference in the reflectivity.

I don't understand why you can't just see the hole.

If you can document any suspicious pattern of noises it might help, though it's a faint hope.

-- "For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires."

-- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_

James Owens, Ottawa, Canada

Reply to
James Owens

I wouldn't worry about it. Wireless spy cameras can now be bought that are incorporated into clocks, radios, smoke detectors, Kleenex boxes, furniture legs, ceiling tiles, porcelain, you name it. I doubt that they would be using the old technology of the scratch the mirror trick, or drill a hole in the wall trick. I would personally examine every inch of carpet, drywall, ceiling, and surface. I would disassemble every appliance and anything big enough to hold a miniature camera, and they are as small as a dime. Use a hammer if you need to. Let nothing go unsmashed. Not an electric razor, not a toothbrush, not a square inch of drywall.

Now get to it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

This ought to help:

Jim Tiberio

The only way to be sure is gut your place to studs, floors, walls, ceilings. Let us know what you find. This is serious stuff, take action now.

Reply to
m Ransley

He should fill the next door apartment with toxic gas, then break in and you've caught the guy in the act.

Reply to
Art

take a hint from magical trevor: beans lotsa beans lotsa beans lotsa beasn oh beans lotsa beans lotsa beans lotsa beans yeah yeah!

...or you can put schodengers cat in the bathroom and ask if it's been observed.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

Suggest install a spy camera so you can video them in the act--good hard evidence is needed to get something like this to stick in a court trial.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

I vote for troll.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I understand how my post could look like a troll or be amusing, but I'm serious.

Thanks for offering something useful

Apparently, my neighbor doesn't realize how thin the walls are and talks about what I'm doing. For example, I'm doing a project in the kitchen, so I was eating pizza in the bathroom and heard comments next door.

"I don't understand why you can't just see the hole."

I haven't had time to inspect the wall carefully. If I don't see anything, I might just forget about this wall and see if I have any luck with the mirror.

I'm not freaking out about this problem, but I think that I'm as annoyed as alot of other people would be and appreciate any constructive comments.

Reply to
xyz

I'm dying to know what/why/how have you so far decided that these peek holes probably exist.

Reply to
bumtracks

While I respect your opinion, read the next post about eating pizza in the bathroom. It's OK, you can change your vote. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski