Peeling eggs

Neighbor is giving me free eggs from his chickens. Shell is very thin.

Any tricks for peeling egg shells without destroying the egg when the shell is very thin?

Reply to
Zhenya Solovyov

For very fresh eggs , drop them GENTLY into a pan of boiling water (slotted spoon) , when done move them into a pan of ice water . The thermal shock will loosen the shell so it can be removed with minimum damage .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Exactly. If you put the eggs in water and then bring it to a boil they will be harder to peel I also roll the egg on the counter to break up the shell all over, then peel.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My, my. Aren't you the Julia Child of the group. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

NaCl in the H2O. Salt the water.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

No , I don't talk funny ... -- Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Something about putting the boiled eggs in cold water, iirc.

Reply to
Micky

Some folks say to put baking soda in the water. It seems to help.

Reply to
RonNNN

What is the salt or sodium bicarb supposed to do?

Sounds like an old wive's tale.

Reply to
Henry Jones

I can't speak from experience but the baking soda in the water is supposed to help with peeling. But the best way to insure you eggs will peel with ease the eggs are at least 2 weeks old. The air bubble increases with age thus making the boiled egg easier to peel.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I don't profess to know the chemistry of it, but it seems to work for me. All I can suggest is try it for yourself, you have nothing to loose.

Reply to
RonNNN

I have good luck with Julia Child's method, although I generally boil standard grocery-store eggs:

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Don't boil fresh eggs. Leave them in the fridge for AT LEAST a week before boiling - 2 ir more weeks is better.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: - show quoted text - " Don't boil fresh eggs. Leave them in the fridge for AT LEAST a week before boiling - 2 ir more weeks is better. "

Man, no WONDER my FARTS smelled so bad as a kid after having soft boiled eggs at my grandma's!

I asked her if I could have some more, she just stuck her head in the room, winced, and exclaimed, "I think you've had just about enough!" ;)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Seems a natural topic for folks to drift(down) into, but in the interest of keeping home.repair about nuts, bolts, and toilets, I'll help show such discourse the door...

Reply to
Topic Police