Pedestal sink installation -- cannot install wood plank?

I am trying to install a pedestal sink. I cut out a piece of drywall from the area that I need to install a 2x4 wood plank to anchor the sink. However after cutting out a small piece of drywall, I found that there was a PVC pipe that runs between the studs!! So, right now there is no room to fit a

2x4 piece of wood in between the studs. Is there another method to install/anchor the pedestal sink without calling the plumber? Thanks!
Reply to
gc

Well you didn't need to cut out the drywall at all. Use mollies to hold the sink to the wall and use the pedestal to hold the weight.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Thanks for the reply.

The instructions state that there needs to be something there. I've read a lot of conflicting posts about how much weight the pedestal actually holds vs. how much the wall actually holds. This does worry me so I'm trying to stay with installing the wood plank. However, if there are no answers, i might just try this approach.

Reply to
gc

to be more specific, the wall I want to attach the pedestal sink to is shared between two rooms. So, the pipe that I'm referring to has drywall on two sides of it. The diameter of the PVC pipe is close to the distance between the two drywalls (difference is less than 2"), so I don't know if there is any space to install the 2x4 plank.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Thanks!

Reply to
gc

Doesn't need to be a 2 X 4.

Notch the 2 studs to accept a slab of 1/2" plywood, maybe 3" wide. Screw the ply to the studs and then use a pair of closet screws like this:

One end has wood threads, other has 1/4-20 machine thread. Mark where the screw(s) needs to be and screw into the ply. Slip the basin onto the stud ends and use washers and hex nuts. To avoid cracking the basin, put a rubber washer in the stack.

There are other variations on that theme, but you get the idea...

The basin needs solid support, not for the weight, but because of loads imposed when someone leans on it or otherwise tries to pull away from wall.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

On 5/20/2008 5:13 PM gc spake thus:

Well, the obvious answer is the correct one here: the pedestal holds

*all* of the sink's weight. Connecting it to the wall is just to keep it from moving around (in the x-y direction, not the z-axis).

When I installed a pedestal sink for my friends, I ended up simply gluing (caulking) it to their tile wall. Works fine, even with a small kid in the family.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Take your pick...

1 3/4 x 4 plank 1 1/2 x 4 plank 1 1/4 x 4 plank 1 x 4 plank 3/4 4 plank or plywood 1/2 x 4 plank or plywood
Reply to
dadiOH

You could use wood instead of drywall if it would be completely covered by the basin, this could allow 1/2 plywood to be surface installed. Be careful you don't hit the pipes when driving the screws or anchor bolts.

Reply to
EXT

This is the best answer so far. Get a hunk of finish grade plywood the same thickness as the drywall, and flush it into the wall where the sink needs to go, mud and paint to suit. Needs to extend across at least 2 studs, 3 is better, unless the sink mount points happen to line up exactly in one stud bay. You want at least a foot tall, with 3-4 screws per stud. Cabinet-hanging screws, not drywall screws- those snap off sometimes. Construction adhesive can't hurt, just for a little belt'n'suspenders. The note about not penetrating pipes (including vent stacks) is a very valid point. Unlike a copper or iron pipe, you can drill/screw into PVC without even noticing it. When you have the wall open to put in the plywood, make some witness marks on the wall outside of the area that will be repainted. (light pencil wipes right off.)

Note than on many modern non-commercial pedestal sinks, the pedestal is mainly a decorative pipe cover.

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

So i guess it seems to be the concensus that a 2x4 (or any 2" thick) plank is not necessary. Just any plank would do?

Reply to
gc

This is a very interesting idea! So, there is material that can be used as a substitute for drywall? Or would I get plywood and just put mud over it (i guess the joint compound sticks to everything pretty well)? And then doing it this way the plywood would provide sufficient support for the sink?

I just wnat to be sure before i tackle this project this weekend. Thanks!

Reply to
gc

All it does is keep the pedestal from tipping; i.e., there is not normally any "pull" on it. Even a piece of 1/8" ply can do that assuming the ply is firmly attached to/in the wall. Now, 1/8 would be no good if you tried to afix the pedestal to it with screws as there is not enough thickness for screws to bite; however, bolts would work just fine. I am not suggesting you actually use 1/8" ply, just using it as an example to demonstrate that the thickness is pretty much immaterial.

Reply to
dadiOH

until your small kid climbs on the front edge of it to reach into the medicine cabinet. damhikt.

Reply to
charlie