Pea stone/gravel for a parking pad

Page 3 of 3

<stuff snipped>

More demons to bedevil me! Fortunately, this is just replacing what has worn away over the years, so I would hope I am covered. Still, when the code enforcers are on a roll, they can dream up citations no average homeowner would ever dream of.
My wife thinks I may have already pissed them off by filing a "notice of appeal" but it was just meant to make sure they knew I had been made aware of the "deficiency" and gave me time to correct it. That and I've been spooked by a recent Supremes ruling that says if you don't specifically invoke your rights, you can lose them like the right to remain silent.
That reminds me to print out a wallet card to hand to cops that says: "I am invoking my right to remain silent, any questions you have for me can be submitted to my attorney in writing for consideration" with his business info on the reverse. If I survive the beating, I should be covered. (-:
Sadly, my landscaper of nearly 10 years, Al, one of the best workers I've ever hired, died suddenly at age 56 of liver failure. So I've got a new guy who's clearly nowhere near as experienced so I thought I would turn this task over to him to see how well he does with specs in hand. Part of the horrible process of getting old is learning to turn over tasks like this to people you pay to do them. All the small contractors seem to need work and I want to spend down my savings just in time to die broke. (-: So it's a perfect match.
I just took a picture of the driveway, printed it out and marked up where and what I want and asked him to work up a quote. So begins "War and Peas-tone."
--
Bobby G.

Yep, I suspect you're correct. I feel I woke up last week in a Soviet gulag. "Go there, do this, sit down, shut up!"
--
Bobby G.

I'm still in the requirements analysis mode because anything I do has to pass muster with the local authorities. I really want to spend as little as possible if only because this is being forced on me from out of the blue. Call it stubborness.

Will do.
--
Bobby G.

No gravel, it doesn't nest. Look into #57 limestone.

This is the part of the project where so much information arrives that it stops dead in the water to explore all the avenues that have opened up.
Am I correct in assuming that "nest" means to interlock somehow to resist unwanted spreading?
--
Bobby G.

"Robert Green" wrote in message
The local government insists that no cars or vehicles be parked on unpaved ground. I'm planning to put pea stone down and wonder what sort of preparation is required.
When my neighbor did this, they just dumped a LOT of the stone on the ground and spread it out. As you can imagine, stones went everywhere and the area was impossible to walk through because you would sink into the stones. The stones got onto the lawn from snow shoveling and banged up the lawnmower blades and occasionally sent missiles flying through the air. I'd like to avoid that, if possible, although it may just come with the territory.
Am I correct in assuming that pea stones are roundish, cream and white roundish colored stones about 3/8" in diameter while pea gravel has more ragged edges? Does anyone have pricing information for their area so I can compare the quotes I get from the several places I will be calling in the next few hours? I realize location makes a big cost difference but I am just looking for gross data points.
How much would it/should it take to create a "pad" for a minivan?
The precise wording of the ordinance says that as long as the wheels are on stone, brick or gravel, they can be just runners that the tires sit on and the whole area need not be covered in building material. I think that would look tacky, but it might be easier to control the pea stone by digging two parallel trenches, lining them with a layer of sand and then filling the trench with the stone.
Thanks in advance for your input,
--
Bobby G.

What I have used is called (road base) This is crushed rock (small) and also

I am putting off contacting my local town idiots until I've got all the information about options in hand. The van's on the street, so as long as I am willing to leave it there, it's not a time-critical process. I've been told I can leave it on the driveway from 5PM to 8AM because the code enforcement slime doesn't slither around outside of normal business hours.
"We're from the government and we're here to help you. Now drop your pants and bend over!"
--
Bobby G.

I like your way with words :)

Ditto
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Turns out the superviser was a really nice guy. That always happens after I call someone slimy. Sounds like his trainee was a bit more slithery.
(-:
--
Bobby G.

crushed concrete, old concrete that is crushed works awesome, it compacts to near concrete like surface and stays where its put......
Just rake it out by hand in case there are any bits of wire in it.. what i had delivered was very clean
I did this a couple years ago so my GFs sons vehilcle would never block anyone in, we execvated by hand a few inches below grade

That's three votes for crushed concrete. It looks like pea stone was a bad first choice.
--
Bobby G.

message

It works very well but he edges still need to be constrained. Easy to do, leave the last 3-4" of the excavation perimeter open and fill it with crushed concrete into which you have mixed cement and water. Once filled, bevel the top outside edge a bit .
--

dadiOH
____________________________

In my next lifetime I will do it correctly. Today, all I wanted was the "fuzz" off my back ASAP.
Thanks for your input, D!
--
Bobby G.

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 03:16:03 -0400, "Robert Green"

the "tracks" There are even concrete blocks made that allow the grass to grow up through - which are allowed in many areas.
Crushed limestone works very well too. Compacts almost like concrete. Stays in place. Coarse (like gravel) or "fines" - work equally well.

Hours of labor, for one. I don't care if my heirs inherit a nice driveway or not. (-: Things were fine until the "rat out" war began and now that enough pea gravel has been spread to satisfy the authorities, things are fine again. I had the code guy come out and bless my proposed solution and tomorrow he can bless the actual one. Another 8 cu ft of stone and some Roundup. It's positively weird how good it feels to have that taken care of so quickly and inexpensively.

I don't disagree. I would have used either had the shopping list not gone to the landscape guy as quickly as it did. Kurt, if you're reading this, that's what happens when you move a little too quickly and aggressively like reporters sometimes do. Mistakes happen. (-:
Since the new pea stone doesn't match the old, and matching was a consideration, I could have just as easily gone with gravel or limestone. Oddly enough, the bags were tinted slightly making the rocks look whiter than they actually were.
--
Bobby G.

Whoever posted this (I lost track):

+++++++++
It's not about how "liberals" think of themselves. (Liberal/Conservative h ave become meaningless terms).
It's how serious, scholarly research has analyzed the processing of the two "sides". Each has some upside and some downside, but the way each process es input/data/etc. is VERY different. So is -- VERY IMPORTANT! -- the welt anschauung (world view) of the two "sides".
The "serious, scholarly" research I mention has only been possible recently , with the advent of technology that permits direct observation of not only body (physiolgical) reaction to stimuli, but -- mirabile dictu! -- of the actual functioning of various areas of the brain.
This is such amazing stuff that those of us who seek to rise above blind pr ejudice and petty labeling would do well to educate ourselves the research which finally helps us understand where we're coming from.
And, of course, *pace* the NSA scandal, this technology and the results it yields can be used for serious self-evaluation or could be manipulated by B ig Brother to control us more than we are already. (Excuse me while I adjus t my tinfoil helmet <g>)
HB
HB