PCV vs. metal traps

Generally speaking, which is a better long term investment, a non-corrodable metal P-trap or a PVC P-trap? I thought I heard someone mention how PVC was prone to clogging.

or a PVC P-trap?: (Your best bet )
I thought I heard someone mention how PVC was

Clogging is more a function of what's put down the drain than what material the drain is made from. If the trap will be seen, I use metal. If not, well, it's 50-50 in my mind.
RicodJour wrote:

Clogging is only one mode of failure. The other is the trap corroding away, which is very common. PVC eliminates that.
On Oct 12, 7:04 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

A brass trap will last a long time. The odds of a bathroom or kitchen being remodeled before the original trap shows any sign of corrosion is high. If people let the sink get clogged and use harsh chemicals, well, those people should use PVC. It's much closer to idiot-proof.
Eigenvector wrote:

There is no reason that PVC would be prone to clogging, in fact, the smoother surface makes it less likely to clog. PVC doesn't corrode, is cheap, and easy to install. They only minus is that the nuts sometimes split, but replacement is generally simple and quick. Does metal have any benefit over PVC? Maybe appearance when exposed.

You not likely to strip the metal threads.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

True but one shouldn't strip PVC threads if one realize that there is virtually no pressure inside the pipes so hand tightening even if you are weak is all that is need. Even with care PVC nuts can crack and require replacement after a long period, but the crack should be obvious long before a leak develops. Unless one is an idiot and uses one of those pressure devices to clear clogs.

Wow, strong reaction from all, thanks for the input. Guess that shuts down a bit of false information that was passed on to me.
I don't have anything against PVC, outside of its (sometimes) cheap construction and brittleness, but for a drain pipe that's not a big problem.
depends on what your health department wants as it applies to your type of building and its use. our county wants pvc, less unnoticed rust-thru for contamination of home. of course, our city, buffalo ny, wants metal.
Eigenvector wrote:

PVC far better, smoother inside for less clogging, non reactive to drain cleaners like drainno, never rusts out and easier to disassemble if needed.
Recently I fpund some PVC traps with threaded bottoms for clog clearance, just untread cap with pan underneath.
i think thats a excellent idea
I ALWAYS put silicone bathtub caulk on all fittings of PVC, they are low cost and low quality if you ask me.
silicone costs little and seals all those small leaks.....
best idea I ever stole from a plumber:)
I ALWAYS put silicone bathtub caulk on all fittings of PVC, they are low cost and low quality if you ask me.
silicone costs little and seals all those small leaks.....
best idea I ever stole from a plumber:)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've seen two different qualities of PVC drain assemblies. The super-cheap, leak-prone type had a fold over wedge on certain ends. The better quality ones have a solid wedge on those certain ends and tend not to leak. I think they sell less of the super-cheap kind these days.
P.S. Count me as another vote for PVC as it doesn't corrode, is very inexpensive, just plain lasts longer, and is easier to cut and install. I don't think it even has an objectionable look: clean, white and smooth.