PC antivirus software question

Page 5 of 6

I haven't missed that point. I concede that there are more people running Windows.
I don't see how it's all that important to be using what everyone else is using.

Yes. Linux installs have gotten easier and easier. If you can install XP, you'll find installing Linux is even easier (without all the reboots).
If you can't install XP, you can run Linux without even doing a proper install. There are "live CDs". Just put the CD in the drive and reboot. You don't install anything it just runs Linux. If you have a machine that can boot from USB there are versions that run from a USB device.

How do you deal with Windows problems? Same technique works with Linux.
For many people, it's not an either or type choice. Many people run both. They set up their machines for dual boot. If you've got to get something done and you can't figure out how to do it, boot into the other OS. Many people claim they switch back and forth and eventually find they don't need Windows after a while. For some it goes the other way.

If your goal is to run what everyone else runs, Linux isn't a good choice.
If you have any curiosity burn a live CD and see how far you get. It won't hurt anything.
I think what surprises most people is the massive amount of free software available. The "Add/Remove Programs" feature really works. In Windows, all it's good for is removing stuff. With Linux there are thousands of free applications to install and have fun with.
"Dan Espen" wrote:

Dan, are you saying that installing and working with Linux is do-able for someone at the novice (not newbie) level?
I hate Windows and am not fond of IE. I had to go back to IE after upgrading Firefox screwed my computer up. I had been using it for years. But every damn thing I have to install for windows eats up so much resources. And I really don't know what I Need to install and what I can skip. I also tried Thunderbird but wasn't crazy about it either. I use OE.
Can I somehow install Linux over windows--I don't know what a dual boot is. I will do a bit of research.
rose

Yes.
You can install Linux over, beside or inside windows.
Over is very easy, boot from the CD. One of the first questions it asks is do you want to install over.
Beside (dual boot) is a bit harder. Mainly you have to decide how much space you want to use for Linux (that's the harder part). The installer will resize the Windows partition if necessary. Next time you boot, it asks you want to boot Windows or Linux.
Inside can be done a couple of ways:
With WUBI Linux, you install Linux just like any other Windows application. Next time you boot it asks if you want to boot Linux or Windows. The difference is, Linux resides within the Windows file system.
There are a few Virtual Machines. I've used VMWare (which you can now get for free) and Virtual Box. Both let you run Linux inside Windows or Windows inside Linux. Both run at the same time. Also very simple to install.
As I said previously, you don't even have to install it. You can get a "live" CD or USB key. Then boot from the CD or USB key. If you're afraid you'll mess something up, the live CDs are really risk free.
Dan Espen wrote:

Has the Linux community finally gotten a reliable read/write NTFS driver working?

--John

Yes.
One reason to keep a Linux live CD around is for repairing Windows. Just did that at work a while back.
Dan Espen wrote:

I am somehow reminded of Samuel Johnson's dictum:
"A woman in the pulpit is like a dog raised up on its hinder legs. It is not well done, but you are surprised to find it done at all."
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:25:49 -0500, rose wrote:

This is a step by step of the installation of current Mandriva Linux. My personal favorite distro. I used to dual boot but no longer find anything that I would use Windows for.
http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-mandriva-one-2008-spring-gnome
My wife still uses Windows only because she plays games online that are only ported to Windows.

You can select the end of your hard drive or add a slave hard drive to install Linux on and keep windows either way. If you choose this choice defrag windows twice before installing Linux. Allow at least 10 Gb for Linux just to check out it's operation.

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:50:16 -0400, RLM wrote:

I also prefer the second drive option. Makes it extremely easy for the newbie to identify which drive is which. Specially when the second drive is a 40gb while the primary is a 160.
My preference is PCLinuxOS. But like Mandriva it too uses a very simple to use Control Center for configuring the computer. I always get remarks from people who never thought they could have so much flexibility in how their systems looked.
Jim wrote:

I always like those that trash Linux while in the same breath complain about Virus, Adware, Malware, Blue Screen, and all the holes that come with MicroCrap!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

No argument here.
Man I'd hate to be running some kind of AV examining my emails, all my inbound files. That has to slow the system to a crawl.
I sleep better knowing exactly what my machine is doing.
RLM wrote:

Just keep on truckin', dude. I wish you well.
Ignore the fact that the most destructive virus in the history of computing involved Unix (Linux) operating systems.
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 07:49:13 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

"Back in the day" when anyone that could operate the keyboard was the new administrator like Windows has worked for years for most folks. Is that what you're talking about?
If you had working knowledge of both current systems, I might listen.
Now all I can say is, I could teach it to you but I can't learn it for you.
I've used both systems and have both running on different boxes in the house. Have a laptop that is still dual boot.
Wife uses Windows and maintains it well. We have used Knoppix Linux to remove a bug though. It runs from a CD.
I'm doing great! Thanks.
On 8/13/2008 2:27 PM Dan Espen spake thus:

Anyone can install Firefox or Thunderbird. So far as configuring them goes, depends on how far you take "configuration". A lot of settings are available in the Account Settings and Options menus, true, but I doubt most users would even venture so far as the about:config settings you mention below. Probably less than 5% of users would be my guess.

That's part of what I'm talking about. F'rinstance, when you install Thunderbird, one of the settings makes it want to automatically dial an Internet connection if you're on dialup, something I *don't* want to happen. It took quite some digging to discover the config item (network.autodial-helper.enabled) to change this behavior.
And then there's the stuff that can only be had through editing userpref.js and "chrome" files. A user with working knowledge of Javascript and CSS would have few problems with this. How many users have that knowledge, or even *want* it?

I remember when I tried to find documentation for about:config, it was pretty hard to find. Perhaps that's been fixed since.
Dan Espen wrote:

That's like the company that touts in boring detail the qualities of it's 1/4" drill bit [pardon the pun] and completely misses the fact that, in spite of millions of 1/4" drill bits being sold each year, NO ONE WANTS A 1/4" DRILL BIT!
What they want is a 1/4" hole.

Hmm, trying to make sense of that analogy... Nope.
A slick interface is a goal. Not my goal but why else would anyone install Vista? The "Aero" interface managed to push the hardware requirements up to 2gig of memory. Somehow OSX and Linux did just as well or better without raising memory requirements. In fact, newer versions run faster on the same hardware.

Another analogy... Looks like you have a knack for it.
It should have been clear I was talking about paying for AV software. First you rent an OS so full of holes that you then have to rent AV software to prevent that OS from being eaten alive.
As far as this last analogy... In one case you pay, in the other case it's free. I don't think "dating a chorus girl" is the right term.
Dan Espen wrote:

I never said "Linux will give your cat warts." You're thinking of Firefox.

If you mean XP/Vista vs. Linux? Sure.
It's the difference between dating a chorus girl compared to opening the back door and screwing the whole world.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

than there are hammer, screwdriver or skill saw folks. If you would care to look around would see only people who use different tools when they need them. I use Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
What else are you confused about?
HeyBub wrote:

Dear Heybub,
Please try to be gentle with folks such as Chris. They are extremely frustrated already by their poor choice of an obtuse and arcane operating system. They now have to fiercely defend that poor choice, which stresses them out even further. They are, as a group, very thin skinned, and if you persist, poor Chris's head may well explode. You wouldn't want to be responsible for a tradgedy like that, would you? WOULD YOU???
On 8/13/2008 5:01 PM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

From what I've seen from HeyBub, he might get a chuckle out of that. (Not saying *I* would; I'm agnostic on that part of it.)