PC antivirus software question

Page 4 of 6

Kurt Ullman wrote:

My experience has been that antivirus programs cause far more problems than the virii that they are supposed to be protecting us against. Personally I run a standalone firewall with a software firewall behind it, don't download executables from unknown sites, and never use the administrator account unless I'm doing something that requires administrator access, and I've not had a virus on any of my computers in 20 years. The virus threat is vastly overrated, mostly due to the marketing efforts of the producers of antivirus software.
--John
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:14:24 -0400, "J. Clarke"

You sound like you work at Consumer Reports! LOL
I knew a guy who chain smoked unfiltered camels from age 13 to age 93 when he was ht by a car crossing the street. He didn't get lung cancer, so I guess there is no connection between cigarettes and lung cancer! He proved it.
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:13:49 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

ps.
You misspelled VIRUSES. There is no such word as virii in any language, including dead ones.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

<plonk>
--John
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I see. So how many viruses has your antivirus program protected you from in the past 20 years and how did they get at your system?
--John
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:38:43 -0400, "J. Clarke"

My system? I currently oversee a citywide network including government, schools, Utilities, and Libraries. Lots of Servers of many flavors and about 3500 desktops. This is my "retirement" job.
I've seen more than just a few invasions. There are many ways a virus can enter a system, even with a firewall in place. An example is that for schools and libraries to function, students and the public save their work on thumb drives they bring from home. They can bring trouble from home, and no firewall can prevent it. A good anti-virus can stop it, and prevent spreading it. It can also keep a log of what gets caught, so we know that viruses DO get into systems. Once one desktop is infected, it "can" spread to the other 3500 desktops on the same network. That's why we also run virus protection on servers. One desktop with a virus can bring a large piece of the network to it's knees by a flood of packets sucking up bandwidth.

Kenneth,
I'm having the same problem with Norton that you described, completely removing all traces of their product. Did you find a way to do it? If so, I would really appreciate hearing what you did to get rid of all the pieces of this product.
Thanks,
David

Don't know if it work after the initial uninstall but here is what you need.
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
You might also want download and try the Revo uninstaller. (it's free)
http://www.revouninstaller.com /
I use free Avast, too. Very small footprint and does not slow down the system like a lot of other AV programs do.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

I was going to use Avast, but when I started to install it, it said "AVAST", so I stopped.
I tried to find AVG=free on the Grisoft site and it's gotten harder and harder. They have upgrade from free, and free trial, and I know plain old free is in there somewhere, but I couldnt' find it.
I eventually searched on 'avg free' download, and that worked better.
On Aug 12, 1:53pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

I use McAfee as it is free from my isp but it is a resource hog. I had used Norton which is not quite as intrusive. I hear Avast is a pretty good program and it's free.
Frank
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

The unanimity on Microsoft newsgroups (i.e. microsoft.public.windowsxp.general) is that there are three things wrong with Norton, any one of which would cause it to be a bad choice.
1. It is a resource hog, consuming from 5-15% of CPU cycles, far more than other AV programs. 2. It interferes with legitimate installations without telling you. This results in programs not working or working incorrectly. 3. Norton is the barnacle of the software world. After you remove it with Add/Remove, you have to download Symantec's Sooper-Sekret removal tool to pry out left-over bits. Then you have to manually scrub the Registry for any remaining spoor.
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

deal. Has a free trial but after that will cost almost $60/year for 3 PCs, I think. However has more than just anti-virus protection.
Or switch to Linux and get rid of the virus treat for ever :>)
Chris wrote:

Good advice.

Right. Switch to a knock-off of a 40-year old operating system designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company and enhanced my geeks who think the DOS command line interface is insufficiently cryptic.
By so doing, you might raise the percentage of desktops using Linux from its 0.86% level to something beyond the "barely detectable" designation.
On 8/13/2008 4:57 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Heh; good one. I happen to agree with you here. However, don't let's forget that Mac's OS X, which is on a significantly larger number of desktops than any of the *nixes, is also Unix, but with an elegant front end that doesn't require any command like geek knowledge.

Something all the Gnu, Linux, etc. folks never seem to grasp. "It's so much better, so of course everyone's going to start using it. Someday."

No it's not. It's not any better than his "Linux will give your cats warts" junk. Linux hasn't relied on the command line interface for a long time now.
Might as well defend Bell Labs while I'm at it. If you don't like the stuff that came out of that money losing division, maybe you should turn off your computer.

Nothing wrong with AAPL except the proprietary interfaces. If you go for slick front ends, OSX and Linux have Vista beat.
Personally, I want my computer to work the way I want it to. I want to be in control of every aspect of the interface. There, Linux is king.

Oh, that's clear enough, but who cares.

Nope, better doesn't seem to matter. Well, except in the case of Vista vs. XP.
I'm only reading this thread because of the humor content. Anti Virus software...what a joke.
You guys really pay for that stuff?
On 8/13/2008 1:36 PM Dan Espen spake thus:

Probably true, but what about XP? (Please don't mistake me for a Micro$oft partisan, but so far as I'm concerned, XP is plenty good enough for most of us.) By the way, does "AAPL" mean "the NYSE symbol for Apple"? That's an abbrev. I'm not familiar w/.

Sure, but again, that's sometimes the wrong argument for the wrong audience. Like how all the open-source geeks are always raving about how superior things like Firefox and Thunderbird are (both of which I use, by the way) for just that very reason: that the user has full control over lots of aspects of the program's behavior.
Problem is, a vanishingly small proportion of the population is 1) able to and 2) wants to control their software at this level. To most folks, dealing with Firefox and Thunderbird's hundreds of cryptic configuration variables (with no good comprehensive documentation to boot, unless you root around the web and happen to come upon some guy's partial compilation by accident) is just a gigantic headache and a pain in the ass that's just not worth the trouble. But I guess we should blame *them* for not being computer-literate enough, right?

Yes, AAPL is the stock symbol.
OSX and Linux have XP beat too (if what you want is a slick interface).
There are a million of these on youtube, here's one chosen at random:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
Fbk52Mk1w

Actually, for real geeks, the level of control goes much deeper than what you see with Firefox of Thunderbird.

Can't agree, just about anyone can install and configure Firefox.

Not sure what you mean here. I don't use Windows myself, but from what I've seen, Firefox and Thunderbird are configured exactly the same way as IE and Outlook, thru the menu dialogs.
If you really want something unusual you go into "about:config". The same as IE and Outlook, except for them it's the registry.
The docs for about:config aren't too hard to find either:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:27:47 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Most think Linux is some wild ass system that is all command line. I'm with you. Let them suffer their fate. Keep buying proprietary crap ware.
My Linux runs if I never shut it down. It stays up to date within hours of a problem. Not weeks that run into years without repair like the most popular system that has these folks trapped with malware. I don't waste time constantly doing maintenance of scanning and defraging. If I break it, which I would have to try to do any more, I can repair the damage. When a newer version comes out I just install it and don't loose everything that has been saved in the past.
Basically the computer has to have the house fall on it to ruin it but the software will work if I can salvage just the hard drive. I don't use it as a windows server so I don't need virus software because we both know the true key is a unique password that protects /, and a proper firewall. (c;\\ Isn't that right Dan?
Registered Linux user 297687 http://counter.li.org /
On 8/13/2008 3:41 PM RLM spake thus:

Let me say first that I'm not picking a fight over which OS is better. I concede that Linux is probably better than any of the "proprietary" OSes.
But you're missing the points, one of which is that the "superior OS" is only used by a tiny fraction of computer users, despite it being so all-fired better, but more importantly, that's really the OS of choice of computer geeks, not most users.
Let me ask you in all sincerity: do you think the average user could (assuming they knew about it, and assuming they wanted to) successfully install Linux on a computer and keep it running? I ask out of ignorance, having never installed it myself.
And even if they could do that, I doubt if they have the knowledge you have which would let them recover from problems as easily as you do.
It may be a great OS, but face it, it's never going to be used by anything but a tiny minority of those with computers.