PC antivirus software question

Page 3 of 6

wrote in message

I may be entirely atypical, but I consistently submit their survey each year with the good, the bad, and the ugly all reported as honestly as I can. I don't personally subscribe to the opinion that only self-selected and highly opinionated replies with disgruntled consumers comprise their results. The Lexus survey shows their car to be nearly perfect in terms of its aging characteristics, and the opposite is true for some other brands, with every type of good and bad in between.
I think there ***ARE*** valid indicators of quality and reliability, and I, for one, would much rather buy a mattress which has withstood tens of thousands of testing impacts without collapse rather than buy one which falls apart in the same testing sequence. Ditto for most other items they test. If anything, I would argue that a world of crappy products and even crappier warrantees ***DEMANDS*** that consumers apply whatever selection methods they can to make an informed decision. I categorically reject the notion that complex and expensive items should be purchased ad hoc, or by any "dumbed-down" method which entirely overlooks intrinsic design or build quality.
For many items, the methods you recommend make a great deal of sense to me, and I too use all of my own powers of observation to make the right choice. The look, the feel, the heft, the fit, the finish, etc........ This inspection approach is very useful, necessary, but not sufficient in many cases however, since they are often far too superficial. I will entrust somebody with good instruments to measure my future tires, mattresses, cars, and many other items where the observations from eyes and hands are not enough. Anecdotal opinions and past experience are both also very useful, but again not enough to really answer the question for most purchases. As an engineer, I will admit that I tend to sweat a lot of details and worry a lot of nit-picking points, so I don't presume others have the time, inclination, or technical interest / background to dissect and analyze some of this stuff. And they are clearly entitled to their choices no more or no less than I am.
Smarty
Add pictures here
βœ–
not surprizing at all they were down on norton. I gave up on them 10 years ago. They create their own problems to fix to justify their existance.

βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

antivirus, around 35 bucks/year for a 3-machine license on their web site. I can legally use Symantec (aka Norton) from work, for free, but after several problems with it fighting with windows, I said the hell with it and went elsewhere. Between the PCTools and switching to Firefox, no infections in close to a year (knock on plastic).
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
βœ–

I had some problems in the past with McAfee AV as apparently my comp was catched by a virus that first attacked the AV program :-( Then I installed the free version of Avira AntiVir and since one year I never had a problem with a virus attack again. It΄s really worth to give it a try.
The program can be downloaded here: www.free-av.com
An other page that is worse to visit is http://2ajobguide.com/office_administrative_jobs_in_clerical.aspx There you can browse in a database of 260,000 clerical/office administrative job offers to find what you are looking for.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Well for one thing, it's crashed twice so far (in a month) requiring a re-install.
#2. something's going on and i can't go to www.reunion.com anymore.

βœ–

http://www.eset.com /
Add pictures here
βœ–

AVG free is doing the job fine for me.
Add pictures here
βœ–

It can be hard, I think, to find the free version on their website. One has to get past 2 or 3 screens that offer the paid version, and iirc one has to click on a link that isn't named "free version" but something else altogether. But it's there.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have been using the free version of AVG for probably 10 years. Seems to work well enough for me. It is hard to find the free version, but I do use it on Win 98 and Win XP systems.
I always thought most anything Norton's as a virus of somekind. Same thing with AOL.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Very first hit on Google "avg 8 free"
Add pictures here
βœ–
Aug 2008 12:53:18 -0500, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

I personally prefer Eset Smart Security (www.eset.com), but Kaspersky would be my second choice. Check around for bargains on Kaspersky - IIRC, Best Buy (or was it Circuit City?) had it on sale for $40 this week.
--
Seth Goodman

Add pictures here
βœ–
Another two cents - most AV suites have free trials - *definitely* try before you buy!
--
Seth Goodman

Add pictures here
βœ–
Seth Goodman wrote:

if it is doing a good job -- or doing anything?
Add pictures here
βœ–
12:35:05 -0700, Tony wrote:

"Try before you buy" to:
a) As you say, check if you like the interface, b) make sure it doesn't grind your system to a halt, c) make sure there are no incompatibilities with software on your system.
As to how well (or if) it's working - you can start with an eicar test (http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm ) and GRC's leaktest (http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm ). There are more advanced tests you can try, too, though I don't have any bookmarks handy to cite.
I also suggest reading the av-comparatives web site: http://www.av-comparatives.org /
--
Seth Goodman

Add pictures here
βœ–

The Rexwain version of this (text snipped) was 70 bytes long, and when I had the AVG anti-virus program repair this file, it deleted all 70 bytes, because they are the string that the anti-virus programs alert on, and it left me with a 0 byte file.
Maybe I have the prefeerences set a little differently on this installation of AVG from what I used before.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Seth Goodman wrote:

I second Eset NOD32 as the best. If you want free AV then consider Antivir which is very good also.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I use McAfee and a program called CyberScrub to get rid of those nasty cookies and other downloads that clog up the system. It also cleans out the history folder so no one can see where you have been. It can also wipe out your hard drive if your not careful. They have a free full version trial.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:53:18 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

I've used Avast (free for home use) for years. www.avast.com
They sell corporate versions and advance personal versions, but the basic antvirus is free for home use. Their statement is that the only way to win against the bad guys, or at least keep up, is if every computer has good antivirus, and that's why they offer the basic version for free. I think that's an admirable position, and if it also gets them paying customers...well everyone's got to eat.
No one's ever heard of it, but it works well for me. Updates at least once a day, hasn't caused any compatibility problems, and doesn't bog my system. Hard to judge effectiveness, but after using it on three always on, always connected systems for years, no infections yet.
I gave Norton and Mcaffe the boot years ago
My $.02
Paul F.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:53:18 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

Hi Steve,
I have used Kaspersky AV on our seven systems for the last four years or so. I could not be happier with the product.
I would not even consider any Norton, or Symantec product for a few reasons:
Prior to KAV, we had Norton.
One day, I noticed that one of our systems had a flag telling us that our NAV license was about to expire. I clicked to run though an automatic renewal process.
Within a day or two, the same thing happened on a few of our other machines, but only after renewing three or four of them did I notice a problem:
The warning was actually telling us that the licenses were to expire in thirty days, but when we renewed, we received and automatically installed a license that started on the day of the installation.
In other words, Symantec had found a way to "eat" a month of the license.
It was extremely sleazy to say the least.
But that is only part of the problem:
I called Symantec and requested a full refund on our purchases. After some hassling, we got the refund.
But then, removing the products proved to be all but impossible despite using the many "removal" tools Symantec provides.
When the software had been partially removed we started getting frequent error messages relating to a Norton Anti-Worm tool that we had never purchased, and had never installed.
Still, Symantec could not provide a way to remove all traces of their products.
So, I would certainly not purchase one of their products again.
I should also add that (at least in the form we purchase) Kaspersky is very modest in cost when compared to other similar products.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

βœ–

was using was no longer supported. Okay, no biggie. But then when I bought and "installed" the new version, the new version would not work because some of the new version conflicted with the old version. Okay, small biggie but still mainly annoying. So I used the old version's "uninstall" then fired up the new version again only to get most of the previous conflicts. Called Symantec and spent about 4 hours (nearly 7 total) taking out bits and pieces by hand from all over the hard drive. That was the end of my having ANYTHING to do with any software company with an "s" in the name (g).
<stirring things up> BTW I am VERY happy with my new AV software. OS X! </stirring things up>
Add pictures here
βœ–