Payne furnace

--Payneful furnace-- -------------------------------------
Our Payne gas furnace has developed a frustrating habit of turning off whenever the temperature drops, usually below freezing. The thermostat still reads 'heating,' but the blower and all sense of life is out. We reset it by turning off the power, draining the line, waiting a few minutes, then turning it back on, and 100% of the time it restarts immediately.
The service man cleaned off some residue around the ignitor and had us raise the exhaust pipe outside a bit, but no change. Now they just want to start randomly replacing parts to see if anything fixes it.
Anyplace best to start? He didn't think there could be any water in the system or that cleaning our vents would help, but that was our best guess.
Thanks.
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 338844 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 5, 6:34 pm, pikapct_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (3point141592) wrote:

Undoubtely, payne in buttocks. So it is a condensing furnace, huh? I heard they do suck and cause PAYNE
Add pictures here
✖
3point141592 wrote:

Hmmm, What is diagnotic trouble code? Watch the LED light blinking on the contro9l board.
Add pictures here
✖

Maybe you need a new service company. I'd start by calling Payne to see if you can talk to one of their engineers. Or the dealer should be doing that.
By draining the line, I assume you mean the condensate line. I'd probably start with the pump, and any switches or related controls that can cause a stop of the system. Since it is temperature related, it may be getting an overload of condensate under very cold conditions.
Add pictures here
✖
3point141592 wrote:

Why isn't the line draining itself?
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw
On Feb 5, 5:34 pm, pikapct_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (3point141592) wrote:

Get a pro that knows your unit, you dont want a hack that guesses and replaces parts.
Add pictures here
✖
On 05 Feb 2009 23:34:34 GMT, pikapct_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (3point141592) wrote:

Outside tank? Your fuel is gelling. Get a can of fuel oil conditioner (or diesel conditioner) and add it to the tank. Make sure your filter is fresh, and DO check for water.
Also check for any minor leak in the fuel line, which will draw air if the fuel gells or the filter is restricted. The lines MUST be ONE HUNDRED PERCENT leak free. If you can smell furnace oil anywhere, it is not "good enough"
You COULD also have a bad pump.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Reading comprehension - zero - it's a gas furnace.
Add pictures here
✖
On 05 Feb 2009 23:34:34 GMT, pikapct_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (3point141592) wrote:

OOOPS!! You said GAS - I was thinking oil.
Disregard the previous post.
Add pictures here
✖
From what you describe, it needs a much better drain line system. Of course, I could be stating the blindingly obvious.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
3point141592 wrote:

This thing - the line you drain. Is that the condensate line? Is the pump failing to pump it out? If so, there is a switch in the pump that disables the furnace if the water reservoir doesn't empty. Fix or replace the pump. I've seen multiple failures of the float switch in one model of these pumps.
Add pictures here
✖
3point141592 wrote:

I hate to say this;
But Tony is correct. Find out what the error code is on the control board. [When you power off - you're resetting the computer and losing the information.] Find out by reading the error code blinks on the LED, then, diagnose the problem from there the next time it fails[finding out why the error.]
--
Zyp

Add pictures here
✖