Pavers vs Concrete, macadam

We have an older macadam driveway that is in need of replacement. Ideas running the gamut from pavers to concrete to keeping macadam. Would like something that requires less maintenance and like the looks of pavers. Has anyone done a cost analysis pavers vs the others. And how permanent would pavers be? Do they crack, or heave with changes in climate? Our house is in central New Jersey.

Thank you for your time and any replies that we might receive.

Gary

Reply to
Othello1939

You might look at stamped concrete. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Done right good pavers will outlast any of the others.

Not every job is done right and even done right they may call for some maintenance in the second year, a little adjustment for any that settled and or some more sand between the pavers. The real difference in a good job and not so good is the prep work and foundation.

The big advantage of pavers is the fact that they can be repaired. If a tree root lifts part of the drive, just cut out the root and re-lay the pavers, good as new.

Don't chose to put pavers over concrete as you will have the worse of both and then some.

Second best is concrete. Again will done will last many years with little or no maintenance.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Macadam has not been used for many decades. You likely mean hot-mix asphaltic concrete, aka asphalt.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch