patio umbrella pole repair

I need to know the name of the little spring loaded button that holds the upper part of the umbrella pole in place in the bottom portion of the pole. The wind grabbed my umbrella the other day and sheared the button off. The manufacturer wants $100+ dollars to replace the whole umbrella frame, when all I need is that little button. I've had no luck finding what it is really called or where I can purchase them. So, to be clear, the pole comes in two parts. The bottom part is attached to the weighted umbrella base. The upper part is held in the bottom by a button that sticks through a hole in the bottom. When you want to remove the umbrella for storage, you just push the button and lift the upper part of the pole with the umbrella on it out of the lower portion.
I need to know what the name of the button is, and where I might buy a replacement.
Thanks

It is called the button. Doubt you will find on any place aside from the manufacturer, but you may be able to find an umbrella at a yard sale and steal it from that one. Or maybe just slip a bolt into the hole when the umbrella is in the stand.
I think its a "detent button", but where you get one to fit your specific patio umbrella I have no idea.
I wonder if you can't, especially as the summer season ends, find a replacement umbrella for a lot less than a hundred dollars.
I know a couple of years ago I piked up patio umbrellas at Costco for about $ 20.00 a piece. Not real fancy items, but servicable.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

Detent button? Any how I wouldn't bother. End of season sale going on. Buy another one. I doubt it is only a button. it is part of some integrated mechanism.
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

I fixed the same problem on our deck umbrella a few years ago, and if you value your leisure time at less than say $5 per hour, here's what I did.
I turned a button with a smaller diameter stud on its back end out of brass rod on my lathe, and made a new leaf spring out of a piece of hacksaw blade with the teeth ground off it. I drilled holes in both ends of the spring after first torch annealing the ends by clamping the spring in a vise with just the end sticking out.
I attached the new button to one end of the spring by peening over the stud and secured the other end of the spring inside the pole with a pop rivet through the pole wall.
There are two kinds of people, those who'd rather just get a new item, so th4ey can spend their free time whacking a golf ball, and guys like me who get a bizarre thrill out of doing stuff myself just for the shits and grins of it.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)