Patio Repair?

27 years ago my concrete patio was poured. 2" x 4"s were used to divide it into four large areas. Patio has served me well. 2" x 4"s are beginning to rot, and slots are developing in the patio where the 2" x 4"s are. I'm considering just pulling up the remaining 2" x 4"s and filling the cracks with some sort of "gunk" I could purchase at HD or Lowe's. The plan is that the "gunk" would generally match the color of concrete, be smoothed to be level with the rest of the patio, and that it would harden in a few hours/days. Question, what is the best type/style/brand of "gunk"?
Other ideas?
Thanks.
--
CWLee

New 2x4s? I know you will have to screw with it again in 2034 but I bet it won't be the worst thing you are worrying about then ;-)
CWLee wrote:

The gaps are rather wide to fill with "gunk". How about cleaning out the rotted wood, laying down a strip of plastic or landscape cloth and then fill with gravel?

Pull out the 2x4s and pound new pressure treated ones in place. I've done it. That worked reasonably well.

Same patio eventually had the blocks go out of level. The real cure is a jack hammer and a new patio using pavers.