Patio Pavers on top of Stone

I am planning on building a 600 sq foot patio using patio pavers. The previous owner of my house had put down a 8"-12" thick layer of pea stone where each stone is about 1/2"-1" in size. This was a retaining wall project which the previous owner started. Is the stone going to cause a problem with shifting?

What can I do to create a surface that's suitable for a patio? I've read that a layer of crusher run or stone dust and then possibly a layer of sand is good for laying patio pavers. Someone had suggested putting a layer of crusher run on the existing stone. The crusher run would work its way between the existing stone creating a stable surface.

Or should the existing stone be removed completely? I would really like to avoid that if there is a good alternative solution. Below the stone lies topsoil.

Wes

Reply to
Wes Pogorzelski

To install concrete pavers correctly you should remove the pea stone, install a 4-6 inch base of compressed crushed base rock ("3/4-"), and spread an even 1 inch layer of sand. Then compress the pavers into the sand, and finally spread masons sand or stone dust over the top and into the gaps between the pavers. Pavers are designed to be installed this way. Incorrect installation will result in an uneven surface and/or weeds/roots growing through between pavers and it will look like crap. Do it once, do it right.

The paver manufacturers have installation instructions online. For example:

M.Paul

Reply to
M.Paul

This is Florida, no frost heave. We have much smaller area - about

10'x15'. Smoothe top soil, lay down landscape cloth, lay down large square pavers, put river rock down between pavers (about 6" apart). Used the cheap landscape cloth, which I believe is "five year". There is sturdier stuff. Border with timbers to contain rock. Can use masonry borders. Makes nice patio. Occas. weed grows, but blow off dirt and leaves. Got the grill, flower pots, etc.
Reply to
Norminn