patio (pavers on concrete or sand)

I am putting a patio in my yard and one contractor told me it's better to lay pavers on sand instead of concrete, and another guy told me the exact opposite. Can someone help? What are the pros and cons of each? THANKS.

Reply to
terps2703

Even if you use sand, you will need a good base (rock) under it. Sand is nice because you can level out quickly and its not pricey. Concrete is strong and won't settle but is costly. If it is very high traffic and needs to be visually perfect, use concrete. If you want just a decent walkway, use sand.

Reply to
borgunit

Laying pavers on sand will be easier to level and slope away from your house but in time could shift due to changing weather conditions.

Laying pavers on concrete is more stable but the concrete better be level (or the way you want it) because there will be no way of changing the slope. Limestone is best used for leveling stones but if you lay it on concrete it will soon wash away.

If you have c> I am putting a patio in my yard and one contractor told me it's better

Reply to
CanadianCowboy

IMO- If your patio will be subject to frost heave, then go with a compacted #2 gravel base for drainage, cover with landscape cloth- then 2" of sand [or findings].

If you live in the south where there is no frost *and* the ground can be compacted well enough to make a good base, then put concrete down.

If I was going to go to the expense of a concrete base I'd look for a concrete *craftsman* who could do a stamped concrete patio.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Can't tell you the pros and cons, but I can say that I put full-size brick pavers over a concrete patio in 1993 and have had zero problems. I live in the Mid-Atlantic. I usually try and keep the snow shovelled off in the wintertime which probably helps prevent cracks.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Thanks for the replies; I really appreciate it. I live in the Mid Atlantic (Maryland). The cost I got on doing the concrete was pretty reasonable, so that's the way I'm leaning.

Reply to
terps2703

If you are going to the expense of putting in gravel or sand under a concrete slab why do you want to spend more money to put pavers on it? Wouldn't the concrete surface be acceptable?

Reply to
John_B

just for aesthetic purposes.

Reply to