Patio paver installation problem

I'm using those octagonal shaped patio pavers that have a two inch protrusion coming out from one of the eight faces. My problem is that as I lay them I'm getting spaces up to 1/4 inch between the pavers that I cant close. When I tap the spaces closed, they open up in the other direction. I cant seem to have it both ways! I started the first row laying them along a taut string so I know they are laying straight.

Does anyone know the secrets to laying these things so they all fit together as they should?

thx/jerry

Reply to
Angel

------------ That protrusion is a spacer. You're supposed to set the pavers so that they end up with that small space around all the pavers in the same direction/orientation. They are not supposed to butt up tight against each other. After laying all the pavers, the space between the pavers is then filled with either rock dust or FINE sand.

Reply to
Abe