Patio door rough opening

I want to have my sliding patio doors replaced. I am fairly certain that the doors there now are the standard size (72" x 80"). I know little about construction and door/window sizings, rough openings, etc...
The standard sized Andersen doors I want to get specify a rough opening of 71 1/4 x 80 is needed. Question: the frame for the doors that I have now measure exactly 72 x 80. Will the standard sized Andersen doors (above) fit correctly? What needs to be done to the opening?
Thanks, Walter
I replaced the slider in my kitchen with a Jeld-Wen swinging patio, did not have to make the opening bigger, but I did remove the trim around the inside to measure and make sure it would fit.
Whats the size of the Andersen doors, the sales people should be able to tell you that, at least the brochure should say!
Tom

size in north america. Are you planning on installing it yourself? If so, and you haven't done it before, recommend buying one of the DIY books at the big-box- the pictures will explain better than words ever could. Note that you will need at least 2 strong guys to assist- these suckers are heavy, and Anderson will be heavier than most. (wood frame, right?) If you are hiring it done (highly recommended the first time, as a learning experience), the installer will know how to shim and square appropriately, and most important, how to flash it appropriately. Do NOT remove the horizontal shipping strip in the middle until the door is in place. If your rough opening is a hair too small, there are ways to fine-tune reality, but you need to know what you are doing. Any adjustments over 1/2 or 3/4 or so to the opening usually mean reframing the wall a little. If your hole is slightly too wide, it just means adding a little wood to one or both sides, and inventing a way to make the outside trim look right, if it doesn't cover the old hole in the siding or brick or whatever.
aem sends....
This is not a Do it yourselfer job.
Tom

twfsa wrote:

It most certainly is IF the DIYer knows what he is doing. You are correct that the OP doesn't have the expertise to do it.
Harry K
Well I hope a person would know what they are doing, these doors are expensive, get it in there crooked then you have to hire someone to try and fix your mistakes, provided you didn't break the door casing, or ruin the track,
My .02 cents worth.
Tom

twfsa wrote:

So you somehow missed the meaning of a simple 2 sentence post?
Harry K
On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 16:25:37 -0400, "Walter Cohen"

dimensions of the unit were a bit under the RO specified, I assume to allow for shimming. Previous responders are correct in stating that the units are heavy. You will need help to lift and maneuver it.
Walter Cohen wrote:

It should be no problem. BTW Anderson sliders and french doors come in pieces and you have to install the components. Not like pella or others. I have installed many and you can easily do it by yourself depending on your knowledge.
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"